Sky cancellation

Tony1A

Never going back to Sky TV. Ever!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
HI ALL

God, Sky are really making my blood boil! I rung up today because I want to pay the rest of my subscription off and be done with them. They tell me I can't do that due to it being a re-contract. Sky will not be losing money and yet I can't do it. WHERE THE HELL IS THE PROBLEM? I just want these lot off my back and it seems I will have to call them in July to cancel. I'll be glad when I can cancel because as sure as hell I won't be going back! This is one bridge I can't wait to burn!!!

Last edited:

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
OK! I have paid up my remaining subs until August using their website. Cancelled the direct debit at my bank as what I have paid today will cover me until August. Still got to ring them in July though (boo hiss). Just spoke to a nice person on the phone at Sky (not like the one before who put the phone down on me when I said that I had cancelled the direct debit).
:mad::mad:

Roll on July - bye bye Sky! :-buttkick

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Well done Tony 1A,
Never bothered getting Sky, there are too many quality channels, on other satellites, to bother with them, but I did manage to stop them sending me their junk mail, at least the ones addressed to me, which was surprisingly easy.
No doubt they will contact you quickly, if you forget to cancel, as they'll want their money, equally you'll get a skew of cheap offers, as they try to lure you back.

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
Welcome to freedom

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Am I the only one that likes Sky? :-Axechase

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I like Sky coz it keeps the missus quiet :D

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
OK! I have paid up my remaining subs until August using their website. Cancelled the direct debit at my bank as what I have paid today will cover me until August. Still got to ring them in July though (boo hiss). Just spoke to a nice person on the phone at Sky (not like the one before who put the phone down on me when I said that I had cancelled the direct debit).
:mad::mad:

Roll on July - bye bye Sky! :-buttkick
Legally by cancelling your DD you may well be in breach of your contract when the time comes for you to cancel. Read the Ts & Cs in which it states that a valid method of payment must be in place.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
In the words of the bible: "Sky can bugger off" :). I have paid up my subs until August. THEY said I could do that! :)

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Am I the only one that likes Sky? :-Axechase
I like Sky's selection of channels and their Sky+HD box for the ease of use and simplicity. However, I don't like their prices or their new European footprint... ;)

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Davemurgtroyd! If you read my post correctly, I am now IN CREDIT. Each month they will take the £11.50 on the 1st. So this means the payments have already been made :). All I have to do is give them 31 days notice in July and that's that. No more Mr Murdoch to bother about and I won't be re-contracting with them....EVER! It's over!

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
if you have paid up then theres nothing wrong with sending them their gear back

TBH I'd ask for it on paper stating you can't cancel till july/august time because under the consumer credit act (or some other feeble law) you should be able to pay up and tell them where to stick their services (regardless of what sky say)

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Quite agree, Smoggy. The problem with Sky is they tell you one thing and later on they tell you something else. It's like they cannot make their minds up and keep moving the goal-posts as to what suits them! I won't be sending them any Sky+ boxes as they belong to me as I bought them private and are out of Sky's grip, so they can go and hang. They cannot take any more money from my bank cos' I saw to that on Wednesday. Little Hitlers the lot of 'em!

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
The boxes you can keep yes but the cards always belong to Sky and if you send them back recorded delivery (signed for) they have their equipment back and you are no longer able to receive their services

I was going to suggest ringing Consumer Direct but it seems the Government killed that service off and passed its duties over to CAB

Have a read here http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/engla...elling_your_tv_phone_or_internet_contract.htm

and try giving these a ring 0345 404 0506 (Citizens Advice) tell them you've paid up but they won't let you cancel, I bet my back teeth Sky are blagging you and you can cancel the contract now

A nonymous

Reaction score
Just make sure that you send a written cancellation by recorded delivery stating you no longer wish to receive their services. Sky have a tendency to forget about telephone conversations, espcecially when its in their favour. They will casually forget to send the kill signal and then try and charge you for the extra months that you didn't ask for.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Davemurgtroyd! If you read my post correctly, I am now IN CREDIT. Each month they will take the £11.50 on the 1st. So this means the payments have already been made :). All I have to do is give them 31 days notice in July and that's that. No more Mr Murdoch to bother about and I won't be re-contracting with them....EVER! It's over!
Be very wary of matching your billing date with the cancellation date as if they do not match exactly there will be an outstanding amount and if there is no payment method in place then the acccount is suspended and your cancellation is void (completely legal under contract law - you agreed to the Ts & Cs). This is what I was trying to point out to you.

You do not actually cancel 31 days before but merely give notice of intent to cancel.

Last edited:

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
I see! Well, the money is already there so they can't really complain :). Once it's all cancelled I will be very happy. I find Sky to be an annoyance now and one I can live without quite easily. So can I give them advance notice that I will be cancelling at any given time? Maybe you or someone here can put me in the know?

Last edited:

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
They will only usually accept the notice a day or two in advance if at all.