Sky cancellation

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Well, outside contract, I've never had issues cancelling Sky. I phone up and tell them I am moving abroad so they can't start giving me the marketing spiel. I usually phone a few days later to confirm.

Tony1A

Never going back to Sky TV. Ever!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
I'm at the end of my rope with these lot. I pay upfront, cancel my DD, then get an e-mail to say that they don't have any payment details. I can feel my blood pressure going to redline! So I have had to set it up again to stop them throwing their bloody toys out of the pram. I AM SICK OF THE LOT OF THEM. I wish this was done with as I have had enough!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Write to them recorded delivery giving them notice of cancellation, there is no way that they can insist you wait until the last month to cancel, they may want to do it that way, but that isn't the law. They can of course insist on you paying for the full 12 months and I guess they've been caught out by people using PPV in the last couple of months and not having a direct debit arangement, hence why they need it until the end.

http://help.sky.com/articles/charges-for-ending-your-sky-contract-early

Last edited:

A nonymous

Reaction score
If its sent by recorded delivery in writting there isn't really much they can do. If you can prove the letter has been sent they don't have a leg to stand on and their threats are meaningless.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
I will certainly send them a letter and I'll state that once my contract with them expires I will have no more need of their services. So they stick that stick that in their pipes and smoke it!

A nonymous

Reaction score
I had to give them a right round of f**ks after they kept ringing to try and get me to resub after i cancelled and i also had to complain about the constant sending of all their junk mail containing their crap overpriced offers. I have better things to spend £50 a month on these days. I'm more than happy with the stuff i get on my Youview box.

All you get with Sky is repeats after repeats anyway. If you want to cancel you could always ring them and ask them how you can buy the on demand stuff from your villa in Spain. That usually kills the contract dead.

Unfortunately its just the way things are with UK providers, Its all take take take. Ith they can screw a few more quid out of you they will. Unfortunately Virgin aren't much better and can't get the hint that you don't want to buy their crap overpriced products anymore.

I have a cheap internet connection and a Youview box and that more or less covers my TV viewing, I have downscaled somewhat over the last few weeks.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Here is a copy of the letter I am going to send to Sky. See what you think and if I need to make any changes :)

ADVANCED NOTIFICATION OF CANCELLING CONTRACT

Dear Sky Cancellations Dept.

I am given to understand that my contract with you expires in August 2015. You will also note that I have paid you in advance for the remaining months of my contract upon which I was told that I could do and so as goodwill on my part did via the website. I had also cancelled my Direct Debit as I saw no further use for this and I got an e-mail stating that you had no valid payment details. I set this up again, but will be cancelling it again in a few days because I have already paid for the remaining time. As I do want to cancel I feel that it is pointless to keep the DD in place.

When my contract expires I will have no further need of your services for the following reasons:

I find it too expensive and we don’t find it value for money any more (even though, very kindly, Sky gave me a discount).

There are far too many American TV shows on Sky and I am not a fan of American TV shows as such apart from the original Star Trek series and The Simpsons. I find the majority of US TV to be inane and boring!

I resent paying a subscription when stations such as Sky One etc. also show adverts to boost revenue.

I am now using a Freesat recorder because 99% of what we watch or record is on Free-To-Air channels and I was using the Sky+ box less and less to record shows from subscription channels. I could no longer justify using it, hence, I removed it from use.

There are far too many repeats.

I do feel that is unfair that I am expected to wait until the beginning of July 2015 to call and cancel under the 31-day rule. Where is the problem that I cannot cancel NOW? You have been paid until August 2015 so you have the money in my Sky account and I would be released from this contract. For Sky it’s a win-win situation as well for myself.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Sincererly.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You look forward to hearing from them?

So, you're the one!

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
I can always remove that bit, Tivu! :) :) :) Just being polite!

Last edited:

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nova-HD-S2, Dr HD D15, Free sat V7S, Free sat v8 finder V-71HD
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
Zone 2 @ 19.2°E with 28.2°E and 13.0°E
Channel Master 1.0m (to be setup)
Channel Master 1.2m (to be setup)
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
I don't see why you have to list the reasons why, just gives them more ammo to hound you with.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Yeah, but I have to give myself some ammo and to strengthen my case, too! Any advice welcomed!

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Do you really need a list of reasons to cancel once the contract binding time expires?

Good luck

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
I can always remove the reasons. Hmm. I will think about that! :)

A nonymous

Reaction score
With Sky you need to state legal facts. Sky couldn't give a monkies arse why you don't want to subscribe anymore. You need to state that you have paid the minimum term as per their terms and conditions and you no longer wish to receive their services I would like to see them take you to court for complying with the terms and conditions. Cancel the DD, there is nothing they can do as you are paid upto until your contract ends. The worst they can do is switch the card off which is what you want anyway.

People at Sky are thick, if you ask them anything outside what they have been taught to answer it has a tendency to confuse the poor darlings as they don't get out much these days :-lmao

Just tell them you are going abroad and if they don't cancel the service you will be forced to use it in Spain meaning you are breaking the terms and conditions, hence they will have to cancel the contract.
You could tell them you are using your card in a receiver not approved by Sky. that usually has a tendency to kill it dead too :D

Just look at the terms and conditions, since your paid up there are plenty of things in there that would force Skys hand to cancel the contract.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I like your style ........................ !!

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
How about this guys?

I am given to understand that my contract with you expires in August 2015. You will also note that I have paid you in advance for the remaining months of my contract upon which I was told that I could do so by a Sky advisor and as goodwill on my part did that via your website. This means I have complied with your terms and conditions by paying the minimum term. I had also cancelled my Direct Debit as I saw no further use for this and I got an e-mail stating that you had no valid payment details. I set this up again, but I have already paid for the remaining time as stipulated above.

If you don’t cancel this service, I’ll be forced to use the box and card in Alicante, Spain, as I have the chance of some work over there. You have been paid up to August 2015.

Yours Sincerely

What do you think lads?

Last edited:

A nonymous

Reaction score
Don't mention anything about the DD, its irrelevent.

The less ammunition you give them = Less bullsh*t from Sky.

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule

I understand that my contract with you expires in August 2015. Please cancel my subscription when it expires.

Card number *********************
Customer number ***********************

Yours Sincerely

Send registered with receipt/proof of postage and keep a copy of original yourself.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I don't see why you have to list the reasons why, just gives them more ammo to hound you with.

Agreed, Id stop just after the

After all, what other correspondence would they be expecting ?