Sky card de-activation

junger

Reaction score
I think that I have come across what appears to be a malice by sky and wonder if anyone has had the same experience.
When a new digibox is clean, i.e never been acivated with a sky card, there are stations that are free to view, an example of the is
I am seeing more digiboxes that have had sky cards and when the customer stops subscibing the card kills some the preiously obtainable free channels 'THE VAULT'.'Sky Sports News' are two that are affected.
Is this a coincidence or is anyone else able to confirm this.Sky say its not them (suprise suprise)
Just for interest, I commonly see this on Panasonic DSU30' s mainly.
Sky news never gets killed.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
So if you take the card out, do the channels work again? The Vault is free to air, so will work without a card, but Sky Sports News is part of the Sky package.

junger

Reaction score
rolfw said:
So if you take the card out, do the channels work again? The Vault is free to air, so will work without a card, but Sky Sports News is part of the Sky package.

No, even with the card out, what was free previously is now killed

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Switch the box off at the mains with the card out and see if the Vault comes back up. Then try the same with the card in.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
junger said:
No, even with the card out, what was free previously is now killed

SSN is a pay channel on satellite. so you wont get that one back.

junger

Reaction score
I have experienced this phenomenon on more that 20 boxes. Even a full reset does not clear the problem. I suggest that sky are removing the ability of the digibox to receive previously free channels (SSN) I stand corrected, but there are some 8 free channels (4 of which are music) and on each separate occasion the same channels are removed.
My question was "Has any1 who has subscribed and then cancelled then found that some free channels were removed"?. If not, I shall do some further work on one of the boxes.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Exactly which music channels are you losing remembering that the majority of them are pay services on Sky?

junger

Reaction score
Of the top of my head I cannot remember them all, What I remember The Vault, Q, The Box. Do you have a URL listings link that I can look at and I will name them.
Thanx

junger

Reaction score
Analoguesat
I understand your point, however, my main client base work is not satelite and therefor I cannot remember of the top of my head all the free channels. But you do appear to be confusing the issue which is the programme that brought it to my attention is 'THE VAULT' which is free on a clean digibox, but appears cannot be viewed following subsciption then un-subsciption to sky. To keep it easy have you experienced this situation as I have on multiple occassions or have you experienced otherwise
Thanx

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Never had any problems with channels disappearing. If anything strange happens on my Grundig box, I just yank the power cable out for 10 minutes and allow the receiver to reset..

heres an almost up to date list of just the fta stuff here:

http://www.digitalsat.co.uk/skyepgtv.html

If you are losing The Vault, then its a problem at your end - Sky will not disable fta channels off their epg. if its reproducable across multiple receivers of the same type, its more likely that its a software bug.

junger

Reaction score
ok, thanks for that, I' ll look into it further and keep the forum posted

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
As a matter of interest, just tested The Vault with a deactivated sub card in my Sky+ box and it is fine.

junger

Reaction score
I dont think i have expained correctly, here goes.
Buy a sky digibox (Unsubscribed-without card), The Vault is available free.
Subscribe to sports channels etc.
------
a few months later-same box
Unsubscribe to sports channels the vault no longer works (with or without the card)
------
Replace box---The Vault is back (eliminating the alignment. lnb etc)
Thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yank the power cord out the wall, put the subs card in upside down, and allow the receiver to reboot. It may reset things.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Have you noticed anything like this with FTV cards? Is The Vault there on a FTV card?

Can't say I've ever come across this, then again I doubt I'd even have noticed if The Vault was sub or FTA

Schnuffi

Reaction score
My Location
Sunny, Germany
I´m not sure if it still is there but the Vault used to carry an encrypted
flag even though it is and was FTA on my sammy I had to search for
encrypted channels to get it and the flag till this day is still there.
Hope that makes sense.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
It's quite interesting, but I expect it is just some bug in Sky's channel deactivation system, rather than a deliberate ploy by Sky to make people think they have to pay for The Vault.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Watching 'The Vault' Free-to-air on Astra 28.2 east on Dreambox - no encryption.

You'll have to investigate further - junger

junger

Reaction score
Hi All,
Great informative forum and hoping for some more help please.
If you look at my recent posts you will see that i have been busy with a non-parabolic dish, however back to this subject. Remember not getting the FTA Vault channel, well i've had another look at the problem and it appears to be the feed.
There are 6 sat boxes fed from a dual lnb, through a distribution system which seems to seperat H & V, I am thinking the problem to be one of the LNB outlets.
That theory is great until I found that sky news works and that is on the same polarisation as the vault. anyone come accross this before. any ideas appreciated