Sky Channels Disappearing at Night

Sophie

Reaction score
I have a Sky Digital standard installation with all the channels and a Panasonic box. I have been having problems accessing some of the movie channels at night around 7:00 pm. The channels that are not able to be viewed are Sky Movies 1, 2, 3 and 9.

Any ideas

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If you had said 1, 2, 3 and 8 the I would have said check the f plug, cable run and maybe the LNB as thay are all transmitting on 11,836

Sky Movies 9 though is a strange one.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Sophie,

Just looked at http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.shtml and those channels are found on two different Horizontal High band transponders. It may well be that your dish is lightly out of alignment. You can check the signal strength and quality of those transponders, by going into Services, type in 4, 0, 1, Select (don't worry about what it says on the screen) and go into Manual Tuning.

Type in

and change the following fields to:
H
2/3

You can do the same for any other troublesome transponder.

Will be interested to see what the readings are.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Probably the dish needing tweaking then, if it is accessible and you have a long lead for a portable TV, you can do it yourself using that menu, it probably only needs a small amount of movement.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
j.m. said:
My installation failed that test O-no

Ummmmmmm 'O'-red

04.10am ....Do you guys ever sleep?

Also screen capture at 04.10am and post at 04.17am ......Not bad, Not bad at all.

radioscanner

Reaction score
Where are you located?

If your outside of the Astra 2D footprint (ie Spain), it is very common to lose many of the channels in the afternoon and evening.

The reason for this is - there is a problem with one of the solar panel mechanisms, the satellite needs to tilt slightly to catch the sun, so the footprint moves slightly too! this problem will only bother you if your on the edge of the footprint or if your dish is not correctly aligned.

John.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, there's a problem with Lancashire, too many pies........the dishes become overweight. :D

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
I'm just wondering if its always been off with its pointing....... Or the winds had it ?????

Me thinks its allways been off...... Not bad for a first attempt tho :-)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It doesn't take much J.M. only a couple of millimetres in one polarity.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Looks about right J.M., but to be quite honest, for smaller dish alignment, it is best to use the suck it and see method. A protable TV on a long lead and just try tipping the edges of the dish, first in the horizontal and then in the vertical plane, you should see a reaction after a secnd or so on the TV screen.

Failing that, you can use one of the very cheap tone meters to rest the dish, they normally do quite a good job.

j.m.

Sorry I'm a bit Dim
Reaction score
Website
www.thomsonsecurity.com
My Location
NW UK (Lancashire)
Problem is......... Its a Loooooooong way up :eek: ........ Which is probably why its a bit of a dodgy install........ I have tried to hide the dish just behind the apex of the roof on the gable end ....... Pretty very pretty...... I now understand why Sky installers tend not to be too immaginative when locating these things :rolleyes: I'm waiting for a none too windy day & no bloomin rain :D

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Sophie said:
I have a Sky Digital standard installation with all the channels and a Panasonic box. I have been having problems accessing some of the movie channels at night around 7:00 pm. The channels that are not able to be viewed are Sky Movies 1, 2, 3 and 9.

Any ideas

I had this problem once, including picture lock up's, as I was out of contract Sky wanted to charge me for an engineer to come round! (Bloody cheek!) So I threatened to cancel, their tone soon changed! Sky then offered to send an engineer round for FREE!, which they did.....problem was the LNB, replaced F.O.C.