Sky Digibox - reduced sensitivity to sat signal once a TV SCART(RGB) is connected

ALucas

Reaction score
This is weird!

I recently moved to another appartment which meant that the coax cable from the dish to the Sky Digibox (a Panasonic 35) is now 30 meters rather than the 15 that I had previously.

I also connected the Digibox to my PC to capture video through the TV RGB Scart through a keene electronics Scart RGB to SVideo converter.

I noticed then that the signal quality dropped and started experiencing picture break-ups on some channels (eg Sky One etc).

At the time I thought that this was due to reduced signal from the long cable length.

Yesterday, I decided to do some maintenance on my PC and I plugged in the Sky Digibox through the VCR Scart to the TV Directly so that I can still watch things while working on the PC.

To my amazement the low signal issue went away and the Sky Digibox was performing flawlessly.

As soon as I connected a fully wired Scart cable on the TV Scart of the Digibox the signal quality would plummet causing picture break-ups.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
In my 10 years of sat experience I haven't seen anything like this.
Why would the video output stage affect the tuner circuitry is beyond me.

Is my digibox broken or should I invest in a top quality Scart lead?
(Note that I tried 3 different Scart cables of averable quality with the same result)

Looking for ideas.....

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
The Panasonic 31 sometimes suffers from a similar problem. When RGB output is selected some channels with low signal strength break up, when PAL output is selected they come back.

This isn't a problem with the video outputs, the most believable reason I have heard (but I don't know if it has been confirmed) is that the RGB output takes more processing power and the power supple can't always deliver it so it underpowers things, which affects the tuner badly.

ALucas

Reaction score
Hmmmm... that sounds logical.
I also noticed that on some channels (low signal stregth), when the channel banner, which is bright, comes up they start to break up. It also happens when video with bright scenes comes up.

So I guess, I either invest on some very low loss cable, which may or may not completely fix the issue or replace the digibox with something else.