Sky Freesat card - keeping alive in Dreambox?

astro-k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+, Dreambox 7020
My Location
SE
Hi,

I have a Dreambox 7020s and although I put a dish on a motor in the backyard I mainly use it to record FTA channels on 28.2E these days. I've read how some people have got a Sky card working in the box and I tried my Sky+ card and managed to get Channel 4 and 5 ok with it. I called "Freesat from Sky" and asked about a Freesat card. They said no problem, £20, and it should work fine in the Dreambox as I had already got another card working ok. A few days later I got the card and called up to activate it, but they couldn't do it without a box number, despite saying it would be fine in a non Skydigital box. Got put through to several different tech people (and in the meantime pointed out that their own website http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/?pID=6 has an interesting q&a "I already have digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?... a freesat viewing card") and they didn't know how to activate a card without a box number, but eventually he said he would activate the card with the box number of their test box. So I put the card in, switched on the Dreambox and an hour later I have Channel 4 and 5 ok now. Perhaps looking back I could have used my Sky+ box number to activate it..?

So it's working but I've been reading about keeping the card alive. I'm no expert at all but have Newcamd-Betad.6.10b running. Any advice on how to keep the card alive in the Dreambox? I suppose the card was activated in my Dreambox with this cam, so will it keep the card alive ok?

TIA

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The card has to be activated in a sky digibox. Only then will it work in a DB.

astro-k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+, Dreambox 7020
My Location
SE
The card has been activated as the Sky tech chap used their own box number to activate it, and once the card had been left in my Dreambox for a while it was ok with Channel 4/5, but I'd like to keep it alive so wonder which settings/cam (sorry, I'm no expert!) has been used to keep cards alive in a Dreambox for anyone else.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Have you had a look in the Dreambox section here?

CCcam will keep the $ky card alive- no settings, just install and set it as your default cam.