Sky Freesat viewing card activation and use in a DM8000

meagain123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skydigibox, DM8000, DM800, SkyStar2 CI
My Location
UK
I need to activate a Sky Freesat viewing card and from what I’ve read the Dreambox uses the sky box number from the card, so will any sky box do or is an HD box needed. I don’t have a sky box at present so I need to buy the right one.

Once the card is in use will the card be updated or will it need to be returned to the sky box from time to time to keep it alive.

Regards,
Meagain123

aba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
chaparral montery 40 fully loaded
ehcostar ad3600ipvia
3 dishes zone 2 / 1 mt motorized / 2.3 m motorized
My Location
nottingham
meagain123 said:
I need to activate a Sky Freesat viewing card and from what I’ve read the Dreambox uses the sky box number from the card, so will any sky box do or is an HD box needed. I don’t have a sky box at present so I need to buy the right one.

Once the card is in use will the card be updated or will it need to be returned to the sky box from time to time to keep it alive.

Regards,
Meagain123

freesat as such dont need a card just a freesat box
you must be on about sky freeview from a dish not getting it mixed up with freeview from an aerial they are entialy differant things
the sky freeview card needs to be activated
in a sky box
you wont get hd on freeview but you will get bbc hd on freesat with out a card
your card needs to go back in a sky box about every 3 weeks to be updated

break down of terms
freeview through an aerial nothing to do with sky

sky freeview through a dish sky free chanels nothing to do with terestrial tv

freesat through a dish from 28 .2 east a joint venture from the itv and bbc tellyvision companys

as to a sky freeview card for channel 4 and 5 and a couple of others these are classed as free channel but are scrambled on a soft ecryption by sky and du to copyrights are allowed to be watched out side the uk hence you will need a sky free view card to watch them

hop this clears up any confution

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
aba said:
freesat as such dont need a card just a freesat box
you must be on about sky freeview
the sky freeview card needs to be activated
in a sky box

aba you are getting confused here, freeview is the terrestrial service, available through a terrestrial aerial there is no 'sky terrestrial service' (not yet anyhow) and hence no such thing as a sky freeview card.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
@topper :
he's probably talking about the FreesatFromSky "yellow house" card which gives you Five, Five USA, Five life and Sky3.
@megain :
I suppose the DM8000 has the CCcam emulator, this will keep your Sky card alive - no need for a sky box number. You will need an appropriate sky box however to activate a card, and since card & box are paired, I don't think you can borrow anyone else's sky box without de-activating "their" card......