• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SKY+ Hard Disk UPGRADE

M

milanlad

I have one of the early SKY+ boxes which is at the end of the warranty period. I'm looking to upgrade the hard drive to 120Gb or even 160Gb. Has anyone already tried this? I know you should use a fluid bearing drive. What make is the original? Does anybody know whether it works with UDMA100 or UDMA133? All information or comments would be welcome.

Thanks.

M

milanlad

I don't think you can put any IDE disk in. I suspect it would have to be a ATA100 type interface. Also to consider if there is any boot software on the original, although maybe doing a full system reset may be enough to get going.

Has anyone opened up their box to see the make and model of the exsisting disk?

I do know that there are two different types that Pace used, in the two releases of the SKY+ box.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
The stock hard drive is a Maxtor 40GB and any upgrades have to be a Maxtor.

The Maxtor 4K080K4 - 80Gb works, so does the 4K080H4 - 80Gb but that model doesn’t have a fluid dynamic bearing motor so will be quite a bit louder.

The Maxtor 4G120J6 - 120Gb works also.

Not sure if the 160GB models work or not.

You don’t have to do anything to the drive (no user pre-format, boot files etc needed) just out with the old and in with the new.

It could/will run hotter so a fan upgrade/more ventilation might be a good idea. Also the disk space remaining indicator will be very inaccurate when the drive is empty.

M

milanlad

Thanks for that. Just want to check about the two SKY+ box releases. Will the 120Gb hard drive you mention above work in both releases of the SKY+ box? Cheers.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
As long as the box has an NEC hard drive controller (they ALL should) you should be fine.

One other thing, I don’t know if you have opened the box up before or not. But if you haven’t and plan to use a screwdriver you will get a surprise, to do it ‘properly’ (ie not turn the heads into a scratchy mess by using the wrong tool) you need a ‘Torx 10’ driver. It looks similar to an Alan key but alan keys don’t work well either. Any decent hardware store, or somewhere like Screwfix should have them for under £10.

Also watch out for heat.

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
Some information on this on Martin Pickerings site -: http://www.satcure.com/tech/page18.htm

zansi

My Satellite Setup
Sky+, Samsung 32" TV (LE32M51B)
My Location
London
According to what I've read on other forums some IDE drives don't work in Sky+ due to spin up times and you need to make sure to choose a drive that will not draw more current, so that the PSU doesn't give in and no more heat is created inside the unit.

I'm not a techie, so I ended up buying an upgrade kit from XtendedPlay - http://www.xtendedplay.co.uk

They also set up the acoustic management to 'quiet mode' on the drive, so you don't have to mess around with the drive in a PC.

stealthpirate

My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super (upstairs), Phoenix Apollo MC (downstairs) both running off a cheapo 80cm dish with a twin output monoblock 13° & 19.2°. Sky+ (downstairs) piped 'round the house.
My Location
Yorkshire
to relieve most fears..... our local TV/vid/sat repair guy has replaced many 40gb (failed) with 'std' 80gb drives, no probs, I would imagine sticking with a similar brand and spec (with larger capacity) you should be o.k, always check the H/D manufactuers web site for spec of the drive you are replacing (more often than not a lot of drives are pysically the same just more capacity!, so you would get a 'X' brand 'XX' model H/D with say 20, 40 and 80G:cool:, I too have read about disc management software to alter parameters of the drive, prolly a DOS proggy setting up the H/D on a PC first, But can confirm 100% this guy does not use any (as he tends to ask my opinion on PC related stuff).
Also, if your drive has failed, check website for warranty info, I got a duff maxtor sky+ H/D replaced under maxtor warranty even though the sky+ was over a year old :)