SKY+ Hard Drive Upgrading

M

milanlad

I've been planning on upgrading the hard drive in the Sky+ box fora while now, but I was wondering if anyone who has already upgraded theirs has experienced any problems since the recent software upgrade?

The one I'm thinking of using is a Maxtor 120Gb drive, model 4G120J6.

All info and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MPL

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I don't know anything about the Sky+ box, but it would greatly surprise me if this were possible. Most receivers with hard-disks use proprietory low-level formatting or other tricks to prevent direct access to the hard-disk, and this also means you can't just swap them for a standard "PC model". This is the case, for example, with my Echostar DVR7000.
What makes you think it's possible at all for the Sky+ box?
2old

M

milanlad

I understand that people have already done this upgrade and been successful. Although, the numeric indicator showing how much free space is available isn't accurate, but the visual one is.

The stock HD is a Maxtor, and only certain drives will work.

I feel that users should be allowed to, or have the option off, having a larger hard drive in their boxes.

Regards.

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
Hi, this is possible. although I havent done it myself one of the members on this forum has. He changed his for an 80gb maxtor. I got an email off him this morning and he said its working fine and the box is a lot quieter. As you rightly said the % display isn't accurate but the bar is. I'm sure he'll answer soon and give you a few tips.
Methos.

MartinP

Reaction score
Website
www.satcure.co.uk
I put some information about this in my technical section some time ago:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech

From memory, it's on page 18 (but read the list of subjects).

This information was given to me by various users. I don't have access to a Sky+ receiver so I can't comment.

If any user has additional information or updates I'll be happy to add them so everyone can read them. (Post here first for the benefit of everyone).

Martin