Sky HD box and 4-1 switch

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
Ok, so I know that the Sky box will not be able to work a 4-1 switch.

But, if I connect it to the swtich, will it 'look' at one of the 4 inputs by default? ... e.g. if I put my 28E cable into input 1, will the Sky box then work as normal?

cheers ... Wally

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yeah, I think input 1 will be the default one.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I've not experienced it but I'm sure I've read of some Diseqc switches "hanging on" to the last port they were switched to. Although why wouuld you connect your $ly box to one I don't know...

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
PaulR said:
I've not experienced it but I'm sure I've read of some Diseqc switches "hanging on" to the last port they were switched to. Although why wouuld you connect your $ly box to one I don't know...
Yes, I've experienced this. If I've used a non-Sky box I've had to remember to leave it on a 28.2E channel before switching off.

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
PaulR said:
...Although why wouuld you connect your $ly box to one I don't know...
I've currently only one cable coming to the room where my box is which is connecting to a 4-1 switch. I currently use my Sky card in a DM800, but it seems that changes in the near future will prevent premium / HD channels being decoded in a non Sky box . Hence I would need to put my Sky card back into the original box, but I would still like to be able to use the DM800 from time to time to access other sats on the 4-1 switch. The long term solution will be to get another cable into the room, but in short term I am thinking of just swapping over the cable between boxes, as long as the presence of the 4-1 swtich will not confuse the Sky box.

Simples :-)

A nonymous

Reaction score
Port 1 or AA is the default port. If no DISEqC command is received the switch should always default to Port 1 (AA).

The only time i've seen a switch lock onto a port was when using a certain lnb and receiver combo. I had issues with some MTi Blueline LNBs and my old DM7020Si. As far as i know the Bluelines are still working fine on Analoguesats dish farm.

It turned out to be an iffy DISEqC switch in the end, i now only use decent branded stuff or switches i know work. I currently use SAB ones that seem to work OK, although that's only when i can't get my hands on any Global Invacom ones.

Nano

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
nano said:
Port 1 or AA is the default port. If no DISEqC command is received the switch should always default to Port 1 (AA).

The only time i've seen a switch lock onto a port was when using a certain lnb and receiver combo. I had issues with some MTi Blueline LNBs and my old DM7020Si. As far as i know the Bluelines are still working fine on Analoguesats dish farm.

It turned out to be an iffy DISEqC switch in the end, i now only use decent branded stuff or switches i know work. I currently use SAB ones that seem to work OK, although that's only when i can't get my hands on any Global Invacom ones.

Nano
Ah interesting - I had probs with the 7020 - Blueline combination too. The Bluelines are in store now, one is occasionally pulled out for a temporary lashup - one is currently in use for 26E with my F3 receiver. :)