Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
mmg123

You don't have enough postings to allow you to pm yet.

geoffreys can pm you with some details but you will be unble to reply.

You could try to make a few more postings :) before you go of course. :D

PaulR

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
PaulR said:
mmg123

You don't have enough postings to allow you to pm yet.

geoffreys can pm you with some details but you will be unble to reply.

You could try to make a few more postings :) before you go of course. :D

PaulR

I don't understand that! Why can't you send me a personal message on this forum. If you want to telephone me my home number is in the Larnaka Ammochostos phone book, under the Acheritou listings page 270, 2nd column, 3rd entry down (Smith).
Geoff

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
It's a decision made to stop someone joining the forum and immediately bombarding other people with lots of PMs.

The thought is that if you prove yourself with some non flaming, possibly useful, posts then you can be trusted with PMs.

It's nothing personal, just something learned from experience.

PaulR

geoffreys

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
My Location
PaulR said:
It's a decision made to stop someone joining the forum and immediately bombarding other people with lots of PMs.

The thought is that if you prove yourself with some non flaming, possibly useful, posts then you can be trusted with PMs.

It's nothing personal, just something learned from experience.

PaulR

Well I have been a member of this forum for 2 years, during which time I have sought info and also given info to others, especially regards getting set up for SKY reception here in Cyprus. I have received PMs and replied to them.

If someone is now telling me I can no longer receive PMs - then stuff it!

I don't agree with traders using the forum to promote or advance their business - most don't and just use their expertise to HELP others.

I am not a trader, I am retired, but equally pleased to help ANY forum member if I can.

As usual it appears that a minority are being allowed to spoil it for the rest of us.

Geoff
Cyprus

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
No Geoff

You misunderstand me. It's not you who are affected, you've well proved yourself. It's all newbies who have to make a certain number of posting to gain the privilege of using PMs.

Hope that clears things up and apologies if I misled you.

The simplest thing to do is for mmg123 to make some more postings and you can have a two way PM conversation.

PaulR

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
geoffreys said:
Well I have been a member of this forum for 2 years, during which time I have sought info and also given info to others, especially regards getting set up for SKY reception here in Cyprus. I have received PMs and replied to them.

If someone is now telling me I can no longer receive PMs - then stuff it!

I don't agree with traders using the forum to promote or advance their business - most don't and just use their expertise to HELP others.

I am not a trader, I am retired, but equally pleased to help ANY forum member if I can.

As usual it appears that a minority are being allowed to spoil it for the rest of us.

Geoff
Cyprus

Look this is silly, firstly as PaulR says, it is only the new members' ability to send PMs which is hobbled until they have made a few posts, and anyway, I can't understand why anyone should get upset about this, as all any member has to do is enable the V-Card option in their profile and a member can then download their E-mail address, no need to post them on the forum.

The reason that PMs were banned for brand new or non-posting members was that they were using it as a replacement for the forum and instead of reading or asking their question on the forum, they were PMing an admin or a mod. It has also been abused in the past by file sellers, so it was time to call it a day .

PS. From memory this has been the case for several months, perhaps even a year, it is not a new occurrence.

geoffreys

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
My Location
PaulR said:
No Geoff

You misunderstand me. It's not you who are affected, you've well proved yourself. It's all newbies who have to make a certain number of posting to gain the privilege of using PMs.

Hope that clears things up and apologies if I misled you.

The simplest thing to do is for mmg123 to make some more postings and you can have a two way PM conversation.

PaulR

OK Paul, fully understood now - many thanks and sorry I had hold of the wrong end of the stick.
Best Regards,
Geoff

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
My wife keeps telling me that I haven't got hold of the wrong end of the stick - I haven't even found the stick..