Sky in the Marina

A

anubis

My Satellite Setup
sky+
My Location
UK
I feel quite bad about making my first post a request but hopefuly as i learn i will be able to add to the forum myself!

I have a boat in the south of France and i know its possible to buy a hugely expensive marine sat tracking system but i noticed a a boat next to me had placed a satellite dish on the quayside and was watching a satellite broadcast of some kind and i wondered if it was possible to get Sky. They had a reletivley small dish but were obviously watching more local programming, would it be feesable to have a satelite system a sea level which would be taken on and off the quayside?

A few questions to this end:
How big would the dish need to be? bearing in mind it has to be kept on a boat would it be possible? (i understand that exact measures are not easy)

would the process of taking it on and off the quayside be a nightmare?

Thank you in advance and any additional comment to those questions is more than welcome !!

Hope to be more helpfull myself on day !!

Anubis

L

Low Profile

My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
An 80cm dish on a tripod would be big enough (Assuming that you have a decoder / card). It might be an idea to get a cheap alignment meter too.

PaulR

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If you're at the expensive end by Monaco I would suggest a 90cm dish to keep the signal when it rains.

PaulR