Sky in the Marina

anubis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+
My Location
UK
I feel quite bad about making my first post a request but hopefuly as i learn i will be able to add to the forum myself!

I have a boat in the south of France and i know its possible to buy a hugely expensive marine sat tracking system but i noticed a a boat next to me had placed a satellite dish on the quayside and was watching a satellite broadcast of some kind and i wondered if it was possible to get Sky. They had a reletivley small dish but were obviously watching more local programming, would it be feesable to have a satelite system a sea level which would be taken on and off the quayside?

A few questions to this end:
How big would the dish need to be? bearing in mind it has to be kept on a boat would it be possible? (i understand that exact measures are not easy)

would the process of taking it on and off the quayside be a nightmare?

Thank you in advance and any additional comment to those questions is more than welcome !!

Hope to be more helpfull myself on day !!

Anubis

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
An 80cm dish on a tripod would be big enough (Assuming that you have a decoder / card). It might be an idea to get a cheap alignment meter too.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If you're at the expensive end by Monaco I would suggest a 90cm dish to keep the signal when it rains.

PaulR