Advice Needed Sky Ireland

satselect

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd
My Location
UK
Hi,

My bf from Ireland living now in the UK would like to get sky Ireland, so what is the best way to do this?

As far as I am aware he can only get sky UK through Sky here, could he perhaps get a sky box and Irish card on ebay or somewhere?

Is it the same box ? (Essentially it looks it from images.)

I think if he got one he would probably want rte etc. and then just sports as a footie nut, maybe he'd just go freeview channels to start, not sure how it works with Irish Sky really.

Thanks in advance

SS

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Welcome to the forum :)

You will need a subscription registered in Ireland. Dont bother with any Irish cards on Ebay as if they have expired they almost certainly wont decode anything worthwhile (RTE channels are subscription level not ftv level like some of the UK services.)

satselect

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd
My Location
UK
thanks um is that easy to do would we need someone in ireland to do that? i was hoping maybe if not ebay then a European reseller or something? oh also are the boxes on ebay generally ok to buy? im not sure whether its blocked boxes or blocked cards that are the worry?

LowNoiseBloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Force Frontier 90,2xEmp-Centauri P168(28.2,23.5,19.2,16,13,9,5E,5W)
Vu+Duo2 & Now TV, Amazon Fire TV & Droidbox X7,
Buffalo Linkstation,
Pace TDS850NB Sky+HD,
Ubuntu/Fedora servers,
Technisat AirStar/Freeview.
My Location
South Staffs. U.K.
thanks um is that easy to do would we need someone in ireland to do that? i was hoping maybe if not ebay then a European reseller or something? oh also are the boxes on ebay generally ok to buy? im not sure whether its blocked boxes or blocked cards that are the worry?
As Analoguesat says "You will need a subscription registered in Ireland" that means an Irish address and an Irish bank account or credit card to pay the sub. Any support phone calls to Sky would have to be made from an Irish phone number. Your best hope is to engage the help of family members still living in Ireland or seek out one of the companies that act as a proxy and deal with Sky on your behalf - but they do charge handsomely for the service.

cheekymonkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3 smallish dishes andaccess to 1 very big one.(7w, 13e,19e, 28.2e, 27.5w)
TM 5402hd,dm500s,vu+solo, pc,laptop,tablet,smartphone. Smartmeter S1 (since someone robbed my satcatcher excel tv mk4)) emitor micro HD. very old promax explorer
My Location
Canary Islands
Or you could get a uk subscription via Northern Ireland as this will also open up RTE etc. Although mine has a slight problem in so much as about 1.30 each day (just after news) I get the message that ´this program is not available´´. Although after a short while everything goes back to normal.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Although mine has a slight problem in so much as about 1.30 each day (just after news) I get the message that ´this program is not available´´. Although after a short while everything goes back to normal.

I think this can be explained by this info in your profile: My Location: Canary Islands

Fisty McB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See my signature...
My Location
County Tyrone, N. Ireland
I think this can be explained by this info in your profile: My Location: Canary Islands
It's actually because the programme is Home and Away and Five don't allow RTÉ to show it to Northern Irish viewers, so is blocked on NI Sky subscriptions as well as on Virgin Media in Belfast & Derry, and also on the RTÉ & TG4 multiplex on Freeview.

Of course, it's still available to watch on Saorview & Saorsat.

Another casualty is Champions League soccer coverage, which is similarly blocked - something to remember trying to get an NI subscription to watch that especially since RTÉ & TV3 have retain the CL rights for the next three seasons in Ireland while they're on BT Sport only in the UK (bar some exceptions).

cheekymonkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3 smallish dishes andaccess to 1 very big one.(7w, 13e,19e, 28.2e, 27.5w)
TM 5402hd,dm500s,vu+solo, pc,laptop,tablet,smartphone. Smartmeter S1 (since someone robbed my satcatcher excel tv mk4)) emitor micro HD. very old promax explorer
My Location
Canary Islands
AS......shhhhhhhh please dont tell mr murdoch. My customer paid a fortune for the 5 mtr dish!!!
Now that is dedication to TV watching.
Fisty...cheers, thought that might be the case as when I spoke to them and got more info they said it seemed to come back in time for neighbours. I guess they can live without home and away (maybe!!)