SKY Italia HD box and Digital key

damaan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish, dual LNB with technomate 1500CI receiver
My Location
uk
I would like to buy a SKY Italia HD box for the digital free to air Italian channels. I've notice that it comes with a 'SKY digital key'. Is the SKY Italia HD box 'married' to the SKY digital key or can I use any SKY digital key in any SKY Italia HD box (lots for sale on *bay)?
Also, if I buy a new SKY Italia HD box and SKY digital key, do I have to activate the digital key or is it already activated? If it needs to be activated, do I need an Italian address?
Thanks.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
ISTR the digital key is just a usb adaptor to allow access to the Italian DTT channels. It will be useless in the UK (although it might be worth trying it to see if you get the UK dtt channels on it!)

:D

damaan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
Analoguesat said:
ISTR the digital key is just a usb adaptor to allow access to the Italian DTT channels. It will be useless in the UK (although it might be worth trying it to see if you get the UK dtt channels on it!)

:D

Why will it be useless in the UK? If I get the SKY Italia HD box with a digital key (married or not?) and point my dish 13oE, the Italian DTT channels will arrive in my Italian SKY box and the key should decrypt them? Hence I should be able to view all the HD channels like Rai, LA7 etc.? Or have I got this wrong?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
This article explains it: _http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2009/10/20/usb-key-brings-lost-channels-back-to-sky-italia/

The key is a DTT tuner and requires connecting to an aerial in Italy to receive the terrestrial channels.

If you want those channels in the UK, you need a Tivúsat box and card.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You dont understand - the key is a DTT via aerial converter of some sort :D

Its got nothing to do with decryption of scrambled services.

damaan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
Thank you both - I understand now! Hence to receive Sky Italia means having to subscribe to SKY in Italy or pay some of the vast sums of money some UK firms offer?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yup - If you just want the Italian "Freeview" channels then get a Tivusat card.

Member Tivu will probably be able to tell you more, he normally pops up on Italian related threads soon or later :)

(Hes like a bad penny :D)