Sky mini dish for ASTRA 1 (digital)

fmma

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra 19E
My Location
London, UK
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and hope someone out can help. I'm living in london and watched free german television via ASTRA 1 (digital) 19.2E {sorry I don't know which satellite). I'm using a 60cm dish, which I find very ugly and are wondering now if a Sky Minidish (45cm) would do the same job. I'm not interested in the Sky TV program. The Sky minidish looks much nicer to me.

Many thanks in advance

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
A zone 1 / 45cm should be ok, although you may have problems with the slightly weaker frequencies in bad weather.

Try it and see!

You could of course stick a zone 2 up (60cm) instead if you prefer the oval dishes, or paint the existing dish to blend in with the brickwork

fmma

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra 19E
My Location
London, UK
Just one more question, the sky minidish are not in anyway looked, so the dish can only be used at 28E together with Sky B television ?

drevil2nd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
23 LCD SONY TV
10Mbit CABLE + TV
MCE2005 PC (Giving me grief)
XBOX 360 as extender
My Location
london
i assume you mean locked? no theyre not.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
A dish is a dish. It will reflect anything you care to throw at it - with the provisio that a sky dish is too small for many of the weaker satellites above Europe

moffatt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freeview, BT Total Broadband, BT Broadband Talk
My Location
Atherstone, Nr. B'ham/Cov.
Analoguesat said:
A dish is a dish. It will reflect anything you care to throw at it - with the provisio that a sky dish is too small for many of the weaker satellites above Europe

Disclaimer: No-one on this forum (with the possible exception of AS) can be deemed responsible if after this advice you then throw a brick at your brand new dish hoping for it to be reflected and the dish gets wrecked.

edd173

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fixed dish on 19.2e for free to air only.
My Location
Up a ladder
I too watch the German channels, albeit with a 60cm dish, some 200 miles north of you. I would quite confidently say this would work although as Analoguesat says you may have problems in bad weather, although i reckon it would have to be very bad to lose the signal completely. The reason for my reasoning is that Amstrad marketed a 45cm dish for astra 1 back in the day and LNBs werent as good then. And i used to get French Telecom at 5 deg west on an old BSB squarial with an ok picture. Try it and let us know how you get on. Depending on the age of your dish, the Triax model used from 1999-2001 ish always used to give better performance than the Channel Master model, although 2001 was when i last installed professionally so that could all be very different now..