Sky Packages

MPlb

Reaction score
I am currently using one of the new Sky Freeview cards in a Sky Digibox in France. The card is registered at my parents house in the UK.

I am keen to watch the Ashes cricket matches in the next few months. How easy to Sky make it to upgrade my Freeview card to get the Sports packages and then downgrade again to just Freeview.

Once they've got you do they do all they can to keep you or is it just a question of calling them (from the UK) and upgrading and downgrading as and when I feel like it.

Thanks

Matthew

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You will need a new card from them and I believe that the contract is for a year, although you can downgrade to the lowest package after you've finished with the sport.

They have become a little sniffy just recently with activating cards in boxes not connected to the phone line, but if you travel back to the UK regularly, just take the box with you, activate the card by using the new installation function whilst connected to the phone line, then disconnect and take the box back. :)

You can probably phone them using something like Skype, as it doesn't have an international identifier. :)

Grande_Assiette

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Uk and Cyprus -sometimes
Hi Matthew,

unless there has been a sudden change of policy, SKY will supply you with a new card, rather than just "upgrade" you.. crazy but true !

If this has changed .. i'd love to know.

GA

MPlb said:
I am currently using one of the new Sky Freeview cards in a Sky Digibox in France. The card is registered at my parents house in the UK.

I am keen to watch the Ashes cricket matches in the next few months. How easy to Sky make it to upgrade my Freeview card to get the Sports packages and then downgrade again to just Freeview.

Once they've got you do they do all they can to keep you or is it just a question of calling them (from the UK) and upgrading and downgrading as and when I feel like it.

Thanks

Matthew

simonskyman

I do dishes,me.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
big dish,sat box thingy,colour tv.and a remote control.
My Location
Limassol,Cyprus
Is there a difference between a Freeview card and a FTV card?The reason I am asking is because i have a so called FTV and was told that it cannot be upgraded to a pay package because of the "chip" on it.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It probably has nothing to do with the chip, rather the sequence of allowed serial numbers. Had a problem the other day with a new Sky card, the customer had not said that they were an office, so ordered a standard subscription, we tried to get them to switch it to a commercial package but they could not do it, said they would activate, but send another card for the proper package.