Sky tv in iraq?

brizo247

My Satellite Setup
sky digi box and mini dish
My Location
scotland
Hi im going to be working in the baghdad area for 1yr, can you receive sky tv from the UK with a bigger dish???

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
My Location
Middle East - Israel
brizo247 said:
Hi im going to be working in the baghdad area for 1yr, can you receive sky tv from the UK with a bigger dish???

Not a chance.
Try to arrange a Slingbox setup before you leave, but you will need a high speed broadband connection on both ends and I am not sure if this is available in Baghdad and at what price.

BombedOne

My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
For UNreasoneable amount of money, you can receive everything, everywhere...

pipino

Back from the dead
My Satellite Setup
2X Channel Master 1.20 , 1X Channel Master1.80 ,1X Channel Master 2.40, Motorized Gibertini OP150 , Motorized Fibo MF90 ,, 70cm eliptical raven ..hirschmann fibre glass 1.20m
My Location
Comunidad Valenciana..ESPAÑA
BombedOne said:
For UNreasoneable amount of money, you can receive everything, everywhere...
get a 12metre dish and for sure you will get it

BombedOne

My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
No need for 12 metre dish :)

you'll need to do the following:

1. receive sky tv channels at home city, with small dish. (I don't know prices of equipment for this, but not more than $500 I think)
2. decode them. (price included in above)
3. mux and re-encode them (about $50K will be enough, equipment from scopus, snell & willcox, etc.)
4. Organise uplink station at home (Depends on your demand, for single channel, $5K may be enough, for complete package you may pump up to $100K).
5. Purchase capacity on apropriate satellite (again, it's subject of channels and bandwidth, prices start as low as $50k/yr per single channel - up to $700k/yr per whole transponder).
6. Purchase equipment for watching at desired place and enjoy.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
My Location
Middle East - Israel
BombedOne said:

1. receive sky tv channels at home city, with small dish. (I don't know prices of equipment for this, but not more than $500 I think)
3. mux and re-encode them (about $50K will be enough, equipment from scopus, snell & willcox, etc.)
4. Organise uplink station at home (Depends on your demand, for single channel, $5K may be enough, for complete package you may pump up to $100K).
5. Purchase capacity on apropriate satellite (again, it's subject of channels and bandwidth, prices start as low as $50k/yr per single channel - up to $700k/yr per whole transponder).

Sounds like a good idea.
Add to the bill the special contract with Sky, otherwise this is a copyright infringement. :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
BombedOne said:

A slingbox is far easier and cheaper :D

BombedOne

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Republic of Georgia
I think there's no need for special contract for sky - you're not mass re-broadcasting, you're still single user of it.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
BombedOne said:
I think there's no need for special contract for sky - you're not mass re-broadcasting, you're still single user of it.

Unless you re-encrypt the signals in some way or set up some sort of virtual personal link you would most certainly be (illegally) rebroadcasting to a wide area