Sky TV to increase subscription prices by 10% from September

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Tivù said:
I'm Retired and very happy indeed with my financial state, thankyou.
I wasn't commenting on anyone's financial situation in particular. Just generalizing to get the figures into perspective. For Mr Average who earns the median wage the full package is about 10 hours work a month, and a 10% increase makes that 11 hours. A lot of people probably just say "it's only 80 quid" but never really think about how much time or effort it has taken to earn that money.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Huevos said:
A lot of people probably just say "it's only 80 quid"

How the other half live!

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
The younger lads where i work always say they are skint, but still consider getting sky for F1. Now if they were really skint they'd be doing overtime to support their kids etc, really they dont know the meaning of being skint. I reckon there's a lot of this going on. My dad did loads of overtime when he worked for BT when we were kids just to keep us happy and i never had a new bike until i was 16. Folks get it too easy these days and just dont know the value of money. I graft and do plenty of overtime but then i want the extra cash for a luxury for whatever,if i dont do the overtime i have to wait. Where i work they want the money but dont want to work for it. Sky is still a luxury and always will be to the average guy for basically putting moving images on a screen for you to sit in a chair and look at(in between the adverts). Rant Over. :-shh

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Piltdownpaul said:
Sky is still a luxury and always will be to the average guy for basically putting moving images on a screen for you to sit in a chair and look at(in between the adverts). Rant Over. :-shh
Don't you mean watching the programs in between the adverts? Sky do seem to have rather a lot of ad breaks :D

A nonymous

Reaction score
To be honest the only reason i still have Sky is because i have it at half price. As soon as it goes back up to full price i will be cancelling it. If you ask me they are not doing theirselves any favours as BT are going to take a good chunk of their business with the new BT Sports channels.

Its nice to see a big multinational like BT taking on Sky for their business, I don't think Sky will have a s much luck with their bullying tacticts on BT like they did with ITV Digital.

I myself will just be having my VM package increased to match my Sky one and then i will cancel it after VM have installed the free second box in the bedroom :D I use Netflix for all the newish films, as its much better value than what Sky are offering.

Nano

strs65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Decoders: VU+ Uno, DR.HD F15
DVB cards: TBS6983, TBS 6925
Dish 1: Tecatel 1.10m
LNB1: Smart Oxid
Motor: Amiko DM3800
Dish 2: Gibertini 125L, with actuator
LNB2: Invacom QDF-031
My Location
Greece (Crete - Chania)
Rupert has to cover his divorce cost after all... :blink:

Big-Apple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Dm800
1xDm7000
My Location
CEE
Well i just read that Kangaroo wanted to capture C+ Espana but sources says that talks are discontinued.

Ii hope it wont happen. Some Spanish said if Kangaroo will enter to Spain he will regret it for sure.

BTW prices for BskyB ppl which living in Ireland are paying using euros what price difference are for Irish ppl then?

Jester87

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m Sky On-Demand
My Location
Republic of Cyprus
trigger said:
Maybe it's also to cover the loss of customers when 2E goes live (in September - maybe).
IF 2E takes over all of 2A with no coverage for the Canaries (as 2F most probably doesn't have) then there will be a huge amount of customers cancelling their subscription as there will be very little worth paying for.
I know some don't think that the Canaries are a big thing but there will be maybe 5,000 subs here (£55/month x 12 months x 5k subs = £3.3 Million) across the islands. I would bet that the 5,000 is more likely 20,000 (£13.2Million) so will be a real chunk of revenue that needs to be recouped.

Just throwing that out there

Not just the Canaries, Cyprus, Greece, Crete, Turkey, etc etc.
They must be barmy, when there are so many streaming alternatives on the
Internet now, or even a sub to Virgin Tivo.
I think SKY must have a death wish.
Viktor.

A nonymous

Reaction score
No hes just Gambling on the dole dossers that have nothing else better to do than watch TV all day will be able to persuade the DSS to continue paying for it. Hes not totally worried about Virgin Media cable as it only covers about 70% of the UK anyway.

Nano

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
nano said:
Virgin Media cable as it only covers about 70% of the UK anyway.
Just over 50% from what I've read. And not even UK but UK population.