Sky warranty telespam

Hilltopper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest DVB-S SL 65,
LP401 LNB, 80cm dish
My Location
South Ceredigion
Mrs H has a Sky dish, +HD box and an ordinary box. Just recently she has been targeted by telemarketers offering warranties now that the makers guarantees have expired. Is it best to stick with the company recommended by Sky or these others give better sevice? Or is everybody on the make?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would be very suspicious of someone other than Sky offering an extended warrantee, stick with Sky if you are sure you need one.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
There was an article on watchdog programme a few months back regarding this.

kenny1234

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised ASC 1.2m,1224 Supermount with C120 Invacom Quad LNB with Matched Feedhorn.
My Location
Scunthorpe
I wouldn't even bother with a warranty usually £65 a year, and its only any use if something DOES go wrong, if it does and you have no warranty then you still have a few options you could contact a local sat firm whom i'm sure could fix for you or even contact sky and complain theyll usually offer half price or free service if you haggle/threaten to cancel :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
My late mother got conned by the company that was investigated in Watchdog. They hassled her so much on the phone that she gave them her bank details to stop them phoning - and this was after I had told hem in no uncertain terms to "go away".

Fortunately I was able to intervene, send them a letter cancellling their contract and stop the bank transfer.

Don't touch them with a bargepole.

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
I got a cold call from one of these firms the other day; seeing as I had a few minutes of an evening to spare I kept them talking for quite a while (by their standards if you don't play ball) i.e. about 10 minutes. The carrot was that I was indeed interested in taking their warranty whereupon the caller wanted my bank details; nicely, I told him that i needed assurance in one more respect; that would their warranty also cover a motorised set up that "someone" nice had done for me. He did a lot of toing and froing speaking to higher people in the office while I was gigling away on the phone.

Finally, he capitulated that they couldn't cover the motorised system and I said --"ooh, what a pity! If only ...."

Hilltopper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest DVB-S SL 65,
LP401 LNB, 80cm dish
My Location
South Ceredigion
I've cancelled the payments to the Satelite digital company, will check out the alternatives. Thanks to all.