Sky+ without a signal

Pride Of Cucamonga

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Cheap piece of junk Spanish (Tecatel) 120cm(x110) dish, Inverto Ultra twin LNB and Sky HD box.
My Location
Valencia (city)
Intense wind here in Valencia has just knocked my dish out. Anyone know how long Sky+ will continue to work without a signal? The box is connected to broadband so theoretically the box could check my subscription that way, but i doubt it does.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
If only it would check via broadband but it doesn't. Once I lose signal I usually lose ability to playback almost immediately.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
If only it would check via broadband but it doesn't. Once I lose signal I usually lose ability to playback almost immediately.
Are you talking about the ability to start watching a recording (which does stop almost immediately) or the ability to continue watching a recording that you started before the loss of signal (which in the past I believe lasted up to 20 or more minutes)

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Are you talking about the ability to start watching a recording (which does stop almost immediately) or the ability to continue watching a recording that you started before the loss of signal (which in the past I believe lasted up to 20 or more minutes)
I've not lost a signal while playing something back so my only experience is trying to use the box for anything after the signal has gone.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yes... That was a nasty surprise when I moved flats and had no dish pointing at anything. 'I know!', I thought, 'I'll watch something I recorded on Sky+'.... You know the rest of the story.

Now, why on earth would that be a requirement to have signal to watch recorded stuff?!

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Yes... That was a nasty surprise when I moved flats and had no dish pointing at anything. 'I know!', I thought, 'I'll watch something I recorded on Sky+'.... You know the rest of the story.

Now, why on earth would that be a requirement to have signal to watch recorded stuff?!
So they can check your entitlements and make sure you've paid up. $$$$$$$ :mad:
I just wish they would also do these checks and EPG updates via the net too for these occasions when there are problems with the dish.

My mum fell for this today after snow covered her dish and she thought she'd watch some recorded stuff and do a bit of on demand...

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Still find it odd. Surely, the receiver can query the card to ask what it's allowed to do and what it isn't. A major oversight by Sky (among countless other things)

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Still find it odd. Surely, the receiver can query the card to ask what it's allowed to do and what it isn't. A major oversight by Sky (among countless other things)
But if the card can't get the latest subscriber updates (which only happens via satellite) how can the box trust the card? We've seen what's happened to those blue Sky cards that never got the kill signal for Sky+ and I'm guessing they don't want that to happen again. It certainly sucks, that's for sure.