Skystar2 USB + Diablo CAM problems

flash_uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Innovative; Triax 1.1m, Jaeger H-H 99 Gold
My Location
London
Hi Folks

Just getting started with my new Skystar2 HD USB and a Diablo Light 2.3 and I'm having problems - hoping someone might have some suggestions!

Story so far:
- installed the SS2 USB using the drivers from the Technisat website
- installed ProgDVB
- Programmed the Diablo CAM with Underworld 1.32 then updated Keys.bin from the latest Stealth updatepack and alos updated data.bin.
- put the CAM into the SS2 USB

Having done all the above, I can get FTA channels OK in ProgDVB, but:
- no encrypted stuff clearing
- ProgDVB doesn't even appear to realise there is a CAM in the CI slot of the SS2

So...

- is there something I need to do to load drivers for the SS2 CI slot?
- is there something else or something I have done wrong above?

Many thanks for any ideas.

Flash

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I had the same problem with ProgDVB. I suggest using DVBViewer Pro. I have a Skystar HD2 pci card with a CI module, and I have no problem with the Diablo.

Llew

flash_uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Thanks for advice Llew. Have purchased DVB Viewer Pro and will give that a try. Will post results here :)

M

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
When you enter the CAM menu, wait at least 15 seconds for your CAM info, as it takes a while to show up.

peaceandlove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tm3500usb, TM5400usb super, cas3, m2+,Diablo wireless 2.3rev,
Stab usualsHH90 driving arcon multi 57cm dish with dual feed ,Skystar2 HDCI, Altdvb, My theatre,vplug, windows xp,
Arcon sweety 43cm for astra1 perched behind window
Multimo 40cm for ho
My Location
Slough, Berkshire
Llew said:
I had the same problem with ProgDVB. I suggest using DVBViewer Pro. I have a Skystar HD2 pci card with a CI module, and I have no problem with the Diablo.

Llew
As you seem to have a sky star 2 and a diablo you may be the person to ask a few questions if you dont mind. Im thinking of upgrading my skystar 2 usb to the hd ci usb version for hd purposes the thing is I have a normal 3 year old computer with 17 inch flat screen but no special hd screen, also conections to my monitor is by the normal conectors you would find on a standard computer. My specs of the computer are well outdated but reach the minimum standard required for HD-CI usb skystar.
i have pentium 4, windows xp, 2.8ghz speed, 2 gigabytes ram and 160gig harddrive.
Would i need to purchase a hd computor monitor with hdmi inputs as well as possibly have to fit a new video card to my computor with hdmi out puts in order to veiw hd content, or would the hd work with my existing set up through the existing monitor with the existing connection, As it is i am unable to veiw any of the existing HD channels available on hotbird/Astra 1 with vplug and altdvb and a hd video codex packs inlc cyberlink,powerdvd,nivada and lots of others, or maybe its not poss to veiw anything on astra on hotbird on emu using my existing setup.

with regards to the unit itself does the remote control only work with dvb veiwer or can it be pluged into the likes of altdvb,( my fav veiw for pic quality) my theatre and other dvb players,
also on to the cam, can you only get this to be recognised in dvb veiwer also could you use your diablo in conjuction with the vplug emu, or would you have to disable vplug and Finaly
does your diablo work for the 1West hd channels

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I use a Skystar HD2 pci card with a CI module peaceandlove, but I suppose the USB version will work OK.

I have an ancient Taxan 17 inch CRT monitor connected to the PC I use for the Skystar, just the usual VGA connection. This gives me a decent HD picture, all I need as I don't use it for general viewing, as I have an HD receiver. Your flat screen TV with the VGA connection would probably give the same result.

My PC has an Intel Core 2 4400 CPU and 2GHz Ram, and a Geforce 8500GT video card. This is not really adequate for HD viewing, but seems to work OK apart from a few stutters now and then. Probably useless for recording though.

Don't know about using the remote with DVBviewer, may get round to trying it one day.

The CAM is now recognised in ProgDVB and DVBDream, but unfortunately the Skystar HD2 Mantis driver won't work in those, so I don't bother with them.

I still have my old Skystar2 card in the PC purely for TSReader, as the Mantis driver isn't picked up by that application.

The Diablo with the Underworld files work fine in the PC CI module on the Nordic HD channels. I switch off vplug with the Diablo in, no need for it to be running.

Llew

flash_uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
@peaceandlove

I'm still trying to get the Diablo to work with the SS2 USB HD CI. I would not assume that because the PCI version works, that the USB version will also work! (at least until I see it with my own eyes!)

I contrinue to try and fiddle with DVB Viewer, ProgDVB and DVB dream and will let you know how I get on.

I am running Windows XP MCE, with SP3, and I think the SP3 might be causing some problems together with the Technisat drivers...

Flash

peaceandlove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Stab usualsHH90 driving arcon multi 57cm dish with dual feed ,Skystar2 HDCI, Altdvb, My theatre,vplug, windows xp,
Multimo 40cm for ho
My Location
Slough, Berkshire
flash_uk said:
@peaceandlove

I'm still trying to get the Diablo to work with the SS2 USB HD CI. I would not assume that because the PCI version works, that the USB version will also work! (at least until I see it with my own eyes!)

I contrinue to try and fiddle with DVB Viewer, ProgDVB and DVB dream and will let you know how I get on.

I am running Windows XP MCE, with SP3, and I think the SP3 might be causing some problems together with the Technisat drivers...

Flash

I would have thought that the dvb veiwer would have worked, are you using dvb veiwer pro, or the standard dvb veiwer which comes with your hardware, Be very interested in knowing how you get on as i wanted to get the same combination, skystar2 hdci and a diablo, is your diablo 2.2 or 2.3, if 2.3 have you tried loading the underworld software

flash_uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
I've tried both DVB Viewer TE and DVB Viewer Pro. It's a Diablo v2.3 Light, and I've tried all the underworlds from 129 to 136.

I don't have another receiver with a CI slot, which means I can't completely rule out a CAM fault, although everything appears in order when I program the CAM using CAS3+.

I keep trying different things each night, but no success so far. I have a support ticket open with TechniSat to ask about their drivers and see if they can recommend a working combination of driver and software.

I noticed on another forum someone suggested that DVB Dream may not currently support CI slots, which might explain why that software is not working...

Current situation summarised below.

Windows XP MCE with SP3
Skystar device: Skystar HD2 USB CI, which shows in the various software packages as TechniSat UDST7000BDA DVB-S Tuner (2)

ProgDVB 5.15.11 Std edition:
- Every time I start the software I get a "Device not started (Skystar 2)" error message. In spite of this, the software scans chennels ok and I can view FTA channels and some encrypted channels using v_Plug
- When the CAM is in place, the "CAM Interface" option becomes available in the menu. When I select CAM Interface, a window appears saying "Waiting for data" and then thats it...nothing else happends

DVB Viewer Pro v3.9.4
- When the CAM is in place, the "Show CAM" option becomes available in the menu. When I select Show CAM, a window appears saying Underworld 1.36 or whatever version is loaded on the CAM, and a menu of CAM config options is shown. The menu rarely works properly, and I can't for example get to the settings to change N2 AU etc
- I get an error message popping up saying "No signal or PMT found. Please update CAIDS file."

So all of the above suggests that the Skystar2 knows there is a CAM there, but for whatever reason, none of the software packages can make use of it!

Flash

flash_uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
OK, minor progress tonight. IN ProgDVB, I set the device type to Azurewave (Twinhan), and the CAM Interface menu option now displays the CAM config menu. Still unable to change anything in the config, but at least it is talking to the CAM!!

Still not got Canal D on Thor 1w to clear, or Digitalb or Premiere on 16e using the CAM.

peaceandlove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Multimo 40cm for ho
My Location
Slough, Berkshire
This is sounding so complicated,what about trying out my theatre or altdvb, not sure how alt would work with a ci, but my theatre may work. seems like you have covered a lot, by this stage i would be bitting my tounge with frustration even considering the pci version, but you hang in there, i dont know what else to suggest, what about older drivers

flash_uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
OK I've now given up. I got a response from Technisat support which gives me zero confidence:

thank you for your request, please excuse our delayed answer.

It seems it is a problem with modul.( When you use several different software
and no decryption is possible with the module)
There are a lot of different modules available, and sometimes are some
incompatibilitys between device and module possible.
Please check the modul for latest software-version.
If available, use the moduls with another unit and try the correct
function.
Anyway we will the information you gave us transfer to our engineers for
checking and finding a solution.
At the moment we can’t give you any concret hint for solving the problem.
Please have a little bit patience,
Thank you for your understanding!

Bottom line is that the USB version of the SS2 HD CI does not support 3rd party CAMs like Diablo or TRex. The drivers issued by Technisat always seem geared towards the PCI devices.

The Technisat SkyStar 2 USB HD CI is on its way back to the supplier and I'm swapping it for a TechnoMate 6900 Combo Super HD.

Cheers

Flash

peaceandlove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Multimo 40cm for ho
My Location
Slough, Berkshire
Well Flash you certainly have saved me a few bob, think ill wait till i see a cheap pci version floating on ebay as Llew says he has his working with the diablo.
@Llew you say the drivers dont work on dvb dream or prog, are you using dvb veiwer then

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I have the CAM and Diablo/Dragon recognised in ProgDVB Pro now, and DVBViewer, but strangely not in DVBDream, I'm sure it was before. Don't use it anyway with my Skystar HD2 as the driver isn't recognised.

No problem with the Mantis driver in the other apps.

Llew

peteneedham

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ecostar3000ip Diablo cam
My Location
derbyshire
Llew said:
I have the CAM and Diablo/Dragon recognised in ProgDVB Pro now, and DVBViewer, but strangely not in DVBDream, I'm sure it was before. Don't use it anyway with my Skystar HD2 as the driver isn't recognised.

No problem with the Mantis driver in the other apps.

Llew

Hi i have been setting up skystar hd this weekend,i can get all fta channels bbc hd and itv,then when i put cam in dvbviewer and cant see it anywere on dvbviewer,were should it be,the cam is fine because i have tryed it on my ecostar and it clears everything,but nothing on dvbviewer,how do i get it to work. Is there some drivers or something for the ci mod. Thanks

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Clicking on the 'View' tab and 'Show Cam' will bring up your Cam menu (presumably it's not greyed out.)

Llew

peteneedham

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ecostar3000ip Diablo cam
My Location
derbyshire
Llew said:
Clicking on the 'View' tab and 'Show Cam' will bring up your Cam menu (presumably it's not greyed out.)

Llew

Thats the problem its greyed out,its set to be on in settings but it wont show up,cam works fine with prog dvb but it crashes pc.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi there. I've just been conversing with you on another forum mate (different name over there). As I posted there, I did have the same problem originally, but can't recall how I fixed it. If I do remember, I'll get back to you.

Llew