small problem.

a1424

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500s
My Location
glasgow
having spent many hours looking at many guides and loads of posts.i think i am ready to purchase my first dreambox.i am going to get a dm500s,just to start up with first.

i already have a dish on my wall with a one lnb,i will use this for the mean time.until i get a bit better.

however i have a small problem,my laptop does not have a serial port on it.i have seen that there is usb convertor on the market,that hopefully i could connect a null modem cable to it.so i could flash a new image on to the dreambox

has anybody ever used this before?

thanks
a1424.

conorg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD88 with Moteck 2100A motor. Dreambox 500S.
My Location
Co Down
Yes, got one of these off ebay, and have used it to flash my dm500s, it works well. You may find the initial setting up of the Dreambox a frustrating experience, I certainly did, but it's worth persevering because it's a great receiver.

rogue_element

Reaction score
For flashing images i have always used flashwizard and a cat5 cable. null modem cable comes in handy if something goes wrong with the flash and you cant connect via lan. I think I have had my DM5620 for about 2 yrs and used the null modem twice

conorg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD88 with Moteck 2100A motor. Dreambox 500S.
My Location
Co Down
Yes using the LAN connection is faster, but it didn't work for me the first time I tried so it was a good job I had the serial port adapter.

Conor.