SMS name display question.

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
When we send a text/sms to a mobile , your mobile number pops up in the inbox right. The senders name only appears if that mobiles name is already in the address book right. I have heard there is a way to get your name displayed instead of the mobile number even if is not stored in the recieving mobile. How is that done?

I hope you understand what I am asking about.

Shahid

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Can't see how it would be possible as only the phone number ID is sent out. This number is then checked by the receiving phone against its phone book to see if there's a match. If there is, up pops the name. If not, up pops only the number.

Sounds like some pub bar talk to me.

PaulR

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Exactly Paul and, as I've said before, I delete anything I get if the sender is not in my phone book.

@Shahid...what would be the point if it was possible?

leemus

Reaction score
though so operators can send sms messages with names that arnt in your phone book - eg O2Alerlt, even if your not on O2 it will of appeared to come from that name.

Also some online sms sites send messages that appear to come from names not in your phone book

Lee

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
So SMS Spam is the next big thing then

Nismo400R

Follow, Follow
Reaction score
My Location
Manchester UK
I think its the way the big companies send them, they send them from a remote computer instead of from a handset. And with the newer generation of fones, are able to send a message with some sort of business card thing which is available on the current nokias....

senior

Reaction score
hey, new to this

anyone know if there are any websites about that can identify a person if u type in their mobile phone number?? got some idiot who keeps txting me but wont tell me who he is, and i wondered if theres a mobile phone identification site out there somewhere!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Unlikely, bearing in mind the huge number of Pay as you go phones in circulation.

You can however report him to your service provider and they will send through a complaint to his provider.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Not one that should be about anyway senior, and if it is I imagine it wouldn’t be about for long.

If this person is really pestering you then the phone operator or police are really the only people who can help, however even they probably won’t give you the texters name.

If it is just a prank by a friend and you want to find out who then there is not much you can do I’m afraid.

You could try and work out what network he/she is on by the number, but other than that I don’t know of anything.