So changing from 12v Halogen to 12v LED (bollox ?)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Just being silly. Sorry.

Remind me how much power those bulbs consume, and their equivalent light output as compared to incandescent, please.

A

Archive4

I thought VS was putting his heat extraction theory from the bulbs into the whole house, hence venting the ceiling.
Loft must be toasty as hell!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Remind me how much power those bulbs consume, and their equivalent light output as compared to incandescent, please.

They look like 4-Watt bulbs to me (usually they're a watt per LED filament), and their light output compared to tungsten filament is usually pretty good, if not better (especially considering a traditional tungsten bulb is one colour only, whereas LED filaments come in various colour temperatures)... :)

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
They look like 4-Watt bulbs to me (usually they're a watt per LED filament), and their light output compared to tungsten filament is usually pretty good, if not better (especially considering a traditional tungsten bulb is one colour only, whereas LED filaments come in various colour temperatures)... :)
Spot on buddy ..
they are indeed 4w lamps which roughly equate to 20w ..
So x 5 is about 100W in old money..
less heat generated by these ..and what there is can escape upwards ...unlike the enclosed 12v downlights..
..and they look the part ...which may not be important to everybody ....but is to me.
;)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
The ceiling looks like Artex to me. Nothing short of a Kango hammer will have any effect on that!

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
12VAC ~ 20W = / = 12led 12VAC ~ are not equivalent, or joke.

12led 3020/5050/5060/5630 usually are 0'2W x 12 = 3'8W, in the best and forcing feeding 4-5W, no more.
With no heat dissipation function not last anything above 50 and soon / will die premature aging.
--------
12vac~ 20W =/= 12led 12VAC~ No son equivalentes, ni de coña.

12led 3020/5050/5060/5630 normalmente son de 0'2W x 12 = 3'8W, en el mejor de los casos y forzando la alimentacion 4-5W, no mas.
Al no tener disipacion del calor, no duraran nada al funcionar por encima de 50ºC y moriran pronto/envejecimiento prematuro.

You would have to change bulbs for something more real and clear much better dissipated.
It is important to note that we will use and how long it will be on.
If we need a few minutes of use, anything works, but remain on hours, we have to look good didipados models.
This is 3 LEDs are 1W led by the sink, one hour would hold well, but right, exceeding 50ºC.
-----------------------
Tendrias que cambiar las bombillas por algo mas real y claro mucho mejor disipado.
Es importante tener en cuenta el uso que le daremos y el tiempo que estaran encendidos.
Si necesitamos unos minutos de uso, cualquiera vale, pero si permaneceran horas encendidos, tenemos que buscar modelos bien didipados.
Este es de 3 led, son de 1W cada led por el disipador, aguantaria 1 hora bien, pero justo, llegando a superar los 50ºC.

lamparas-de-led-mr16-mr11-gu53-gu4.jpg

This similarly observes sink/Esta similar, observa el disipador.
1017717806-1.jpg

You have them with LED 2W and 3W, in each case, reducing the time of use, for longer, the sink has to be bigger.

This lamp 2W/Esta lampara es de 2W.
2w-mr11-gu4-12v-led-spot-lamp-warm-white-15degree-beam-non-dimmable.jpg

If we play led, theme dissipation is most important or not last even one year.
-------
Si queremos jugar con led, el tema de la disipacion es lo mas importante o no duraran ni 1 año.

Years ago updated by fluorescent bulbs, including halogen 150W, 5 years led the change is more problematic for heat dissipation in the workshop have led 10W with heatsink to sell to 20W and dying treminan 2 years (burning more than 12 hours daily).
The good thing is that they are easier to regulate and with a single remote control can turn 3 groups and regulate their power.
-----------
Hace años actualice las bombillas por tubos fluorescentes, incluso Halogenas de 150W, desde hace 5 años el cambio a led es mas problematico por la disipacion de calor, en el taller tengo led de 10W con el disipador que vender para 20W y treminan muriendo en 2 años (encendidas mas de 12Horas diarias).

Lo bueno es que es son mas faciles de regular y con un sencillo mando a distancia puedo encender 3 grupos y regular su potencia.

@Viperscan
You have a trick to use what you have and give up something else, outputting the AC rectifier bridge (over 15Amperios) and a few electrolytic capacitors 3x4000μF and 25Voltios (polarity of these components) from here we feed all bulbs (halogen / lED) you have no problem with the polarity of these bulbs.
The problems of temperature led unresolved, feels.
-------------
Tienes un truco para usar lo que tienes y que rinda algo mas, poner a la salida del transformador de alterna un puente rectificador (mas de 15Amperios) y unos condensadores electrolitico de unos 3x4.000µF y 25Voltios (respetando la polaridad de estos componentes), de aqui alimentamos a todas las bombillas (halogena/led) que tienes, no hay problema con la polaridad de estas bombillas.
Los problemas de temperatura de los led sin solucion, se siente.

Usually I put a switching power supply 12Vdc = 8 Amp directly. It costs about 12 € (good compada and quality, important) to 60W LED consumption.
-----------
Suelo poner directamente una fuente conmutada de 12Vdc= 8Amp. cuesta unos 12€ (bien compada y de calidad, importante) para 60W de consumo LED.

whichever is cheaper/lo que sea mas barato 3x4000µF 6x2000µF 25V. (1Amp = 1000µF).

1W Led X4 = 4W filament as much, x5 is what the seller.:-rofl2
----------
1W Ledx4 = 4W filamento como mucho, x5 es lo que dice el vendedor.
a4540.gif

Last edited:

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
The ceiling looks like Artex to me. Nothing short of a Kango hammer will have any effect on that!
Indeed it looks like Artex Paul ...but isn't ..
A simple Idea of my own actually.
I dont particularly like Artex ...so I used thin liquid plaster skim ..in a bowl ...and applied it in a random pattern by dabbing it upwards onto the ceiling with a wide paint brush ..
The surface tension allows it hang without falling in ripples ..
The reason for doing this is that ceilings in old properties like mine develop spider cracks which the random patteren can hide efficiently..
I suppose a reskim would have been better ...but certainly more expensive ...and since it was only the ceiling above stairs and landing I wasn't inclined to spend a fortune ..
Once the ceiling was dabbed with plaster it was easily painted with emulsion...
Actually doesnt look that bad and I suppose can be easily skimmed over to get it flat if needed ..
It'll see me out hopefully..
rgds
VS

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Interesting. The ceilings in most of the rooms at my house have cracking which I guess is of the nature you describe. I've been pondering how to improve the situation so now have more food for thought.

All I've come up with before is suspending another ceiling beneath - Pine boarding or some such, pinned to battens..

Mind you, we' ve put up with it for thirteen years!

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Interesting. The ceilings in most of the rooms at my house have cracking which I guess is of the nature you describe. I've been pondering how to improve the situation so now have more food for thought.

All I' be comments up with before is suspending another ceiling beneath - Pine boarding or some such, pinned to bartend.

Mind you, we' be put up with it for thirteen years!
Well G ..I promise you it works ..
The consistancy of the thinned down plaster skim is important ...as is the speed of application ..
with plaster you don't get long ...
So I guess it's a question of how big a surface area you are working with..
..and how much neck ache you can cope with ..
lol
Whatever you do ...dont go for any form of pattern ..
it just looks cheesy ...whereas random works quite well imo..
:D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

It's the horse hair in the lath that can catch (plus the forty generations of pubic hairs that drop down through the floor boards from the bedroom above)

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Time to resurrect this thread ...on account the 35mm dia glass discs I ordered from China finally arrived..
I have now got my test lamp pcb (with glass envelope removed and resoldered using leaded solder) behind one of these half convex glass discs..
Obviously any heat generated cannot escape downwards now ..so the pcb will get hotter ..BUT ...the heat generated by the leds/pcb now has an escape route upwards ...into the lamp fitting ..which is open at the top ..thus the heat can escape into the dropped roof space and disperse..
So far so good ..
I shall be keeping a watchful eye on this test lamp...but unlike the previous solder failure in less than an hour ..has now been running behind glass for several hours..
Here are a few pics.
rgds
VSDSCF0010.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    301.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 18

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
I hope they do return Dave ..
It would suit me just fine to have an energy efficient filament..but in the meantime...
cheers for the heads-up buddy

Last edited by a moderator:

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Sort of on topic, I am currently slowly, installing our new kitchen and the down lights are LEDs, I have to say I was not aware that LEDs display the same motion stop abilities as the old fluorescent tubes, quite panicked me when I saw it

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Sort of on topic, I am currently slowly, installing our new kitchen and the down lights are LEDs, I have to say I was not aware that LEDs display the same motion stop abilities as the old fluorescent tubes, quite panicked me when I saw it
Are you saying that the downlights are strobing ??
Not sure they should do that ...unless perhaps on a dimmer ?

Smooth DC supply should produce solid illumination I would have thought.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Are you saying that the downlights are strobing ??
Not sure they should do that ...unless perhaps on a dimmer ?

Smooth DC supply should produce solid illumination I would have thought.
Yes they do provide solid illumination but when operating a mains drill when the room is illuminated by these lights the drill appears to be moving very slowly and even going in reverse.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Interesting ...
Got to be a function of the led transformers switch mode frequency ... interacting with the rotational speed of the drill..
obviously this not normally being visble it being well above the response time of the human eye/brain.
Only made visible 'cos the 2 frequencies come close together.

Such discrepencies would be ironed out by the thermal lag of a filament bulb warming an cooling at high frequency...but as we know an LED can respond much much quicker ..
Fibre optic coms relying on this fact..

A bigger smoothing or resevoir cap on the DC line to the LEDs might damp the strobing ..if it were a real problem...but not being problematic in normal use ...they wouldn't put bigger caps in than needed..is my guess.
rgds

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Just in case you guys thought I might have imagined the problem with these 12v led lamps that in turn stopped working so quickly..
Here are 3 more failed lamps I have just cracked open ...
One has BOTH connects desoldered ..the other 2 have one each ..
Fluke my ass ....this is a design flaw ...built in obsolescence ...built to fail ..
rgds
VSDSCF0013.JPG DSCF0014.JPG

Last edited:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Not 12v, or Halogen related, but, I got myself a 4ft LED tube for the kitchen light, works beautifully, the colour is perfect, can't tell the difference between the fluoro tube and the LED tube (aside from the fluoro flickered like a barsteward when first lit, took an age to warm up, and buzzed like an angry bee, and the LED tube has a slightly more noticeable 50Hz flicker (not by much) and rather long end-caps), I like it, LED is the future, well, 'til the next lighting fad anyway... :D

Attachments

• 15wLEDtube.jpg
    15wLEDtube.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 10

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Is the tube a straight replacement or did the holder have to be modified in some way? What sort of cost against a fluorescent tube? What's the power consumption like in comparison?

Annoyingly I have a lifetime's supply of 5' tubes. The school where I work went round and replaced all the 5' holders and tubes a few years ago. Then the next week the tubes were found to be the wrong specification and so they were taken out and replaced with daylight tubes. I collected a load of the tubes for my own use - I had to stop taking them at around 20 as I was running out of space to store them!