cenizas

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
kaonKSC-570 2CI
Pana TU-DSB30
1.9m+1.2m motor
My Location
Valencia, Spain
Telefonica in spain install this gsm equipment for customers who want a home phone line but live too far from excisting cables for them to be bothered to hook them up.
It's alright for voice and not great for data (56Kbpsmax)but all thats offered.
A company called Ya, amongst others, offers one way satellite ADSL, upload via phone, download via sat. The problem with all these unidirectional services is the slowness off the return stream cripples them.
One good thing that ya mention is that, even with a TRAC system, you can use your phone for conventional voice calls whilst online.
Does anyone know how they do this. Could it be a bit of software at the users end? If so, Id like to get my hands on it.
Anyone got any info?

Thanks guys. cenizas

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
As my understanding goes it is merely exactly the same as happens with broadband in the UK at the moment the analogue voice and digital data are multiplexed down the same copper line and then filtered out from each other at each end. Presumably the speed limitations you mention are because you are such a long way from the exchange.

cenizas

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
kaonKSC-570 2CI
Pana TU-DSB30
1.9m+1.2m motor
My Location
Valencia, Spain
Interesting.
And the same would be true for a GSM connection like the F251m?
I wonder if there are any mobile services that can provide simultaneous data and conventional voice multiplexing(great,new word)?
The unit they provide has a RS232 connection just dying to mate.
However I suppose the merging would have to begin at the exchange (if mobile networks have them) and so even if the software were available it would be useless unless telefonica were up to it their end.
I must get on to them. An unpleasant prospect.
Thanks for you reply Topper.
Cenizas

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Sorry cenizas
I may have mislead you there I was referring to the Ya connection you mentioned, the GSM I do not know about.

cenizas

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
kaonKSC-570 2CI
Pana TU-DSB30
1.9m+1.2m motor
My Location
Valencia, Spain
No, my fault for not explaining well enough in the beginning.
The home phone line is GSM from telefonica, and Ya would,if I subscribed, use it for the upload return data stream for their satellite adsl service.
I dont want to subscribe but I'd love to be able to be online and use the phone at the same time, something I can't do with the line as it is now, but Ya boast it is possible with them.
Anyway , thanks again Topper.
Cenizas