Some subtitles missing on BBC1 only

raycer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Dual Core Socket AM2 64-bit Processor. ASRock AM2NF6G-VSTA Motherboard. 1024mb Kingston 667 DDR2 Memory. 160gb 7200rpm SATA2 Maxtor Hard Drive. 20 x DVDRW (+/-) Dual Layer Drive. Realtek ALC888 7.1 channel CODEC with H
My Location
Bucks
I have to use subtitles when watching TV. Just recently occasional phrases or sentences are missing on pre-recorded programmes on BBC1 only. I don't have this problem on any other channels, not even BBC2. I've had my set-up for two years and haven't had this problem until recently. I get my reception from Freesat through a Humax Foxsat HDR. I've contacted the BBC and Humax support and they each gave me instructions to try rectify this fault without success. I know subtitles cannot be perfect on live programmes but they are usually perfect on pre-recorded programmes such as dramas and documentaries. Is anybody else having this problem or can anyone offer help?

T1154

T1154
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
Fixed dishes forAstra2 Atlantic bird 3 and astra 1
Sky box, Humax Viaccess, Humax HD freesat,strong 6410
My Location
S W France [47]
Hi raycer
I have this problem too .......but I thought it was normal !! What did Humax and BBC tell you to do ?
My problem is that I can hear but not understand , so since for my wife I have to leave the Sound on I get into to a rare state with the competition between Hearing and Seeing! It gets even worse with Two languages to cope with! Incidentally I lived in Wing before we came out here.

My Humax Foxsat HDR has problems with the R/C and typically I have to use the Back button instead of OK for some commands !
I have just got a Humax TN 5050 HD which has interesting differences to the Foxsat. But at least the R/C performs correctly
T1154 [ Incidentally does this produce 'Echo's' of the past ?!!!]

raycer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Dual Core Socket AM2 64-bit Processor. ASRock AM2NF6G-VSTA Motherboard. 1024mb Kingston 667 DDR2 Memory. 160gb 7200rpm SATA2 Maxtor Hard Drive. 20 x DVDRW (+/-) Dual Layer Drive. Realtek ALC888 7.1 channel CODEC with H
My Location
Bucks
T1154 said:
Hi raycer
I have this problem too .......but I thought it was normal !! What did Humax and BBC tell you to do ?

Humax:

Please Note: Following these instructions will NOT delete any recorded programmes, your schedule however will be reset.

To reset your box please:

1. Press Menu on the remote.

2. Using the directional buttons highlight Setup:

3. Press “OK” on the remote (Located in the middle of the directional buttons)

4. Now in the menu please highlight “Factory Reset” and press “OK”

5. Now given the options “Yes” and “No” please highlight “Yes” with the directional buttons and press “OK” to activate the reset

6. Now you are prompted to enter your password, unless you have set one yourself please enter “0000” using the keypad.

7. The box will now say “Initialising All Setting Values” please wait for the box to reset and display the User Settings Page:

8. Please adjust as appropriate (These should be ok as default) and press “OK” when highlighting “Next” in the bottom right of the screen.

9. Press “OK” on the next screen to begin detection; it will search for connected cables and then a check for new software.

10. Once complete please enter your post code using the keypad; Number 1 is a space. (As if typing a text message on a mobile, if you wish to use an on screen keyboard; press the “Opt+” button on your remote) Note: If your post code has 3 numbers please do not put a space.

11. Once your post code has been entered press “OK” to highlight Next and then “OK” again to continue (Note: If your post code isn’t verified please contact us for further information).

12. The box will now search for all available channels; the progress will appear at the bottom of the screen, once finished please press “OK” to save the results.

13. Once the results are saved you will be offered a chance to turn on the Guidance protection (Which can be changed later on) please press “OK” to continue.

14. Now you will see a brief description of settings, please press “OK” to finish.

15. Your box is now ready to function.

BBC:

Some digital receivers, particularly older designs, may not process and display subtitles very well. The following suggestions may help you resolve the problem:

a) Turn the subtitles off and then on again. Depending on your receiver, you may be able to do this directly using the subtitle button on your remote control or via on-screen menus;

b) Select a different television channel, wait until you see the pictures for that channel and then reselect the channel you were originally watching;

c) Turn the digital receiver off using the remote control, then disconnect from the mains by removing the plug. Wait for 10 seconds or longer and plug the receiver back in and switch on as normal.

If this does not solve the problem, you may need to contact your equipment manufacturer or supplier for detailed technical advice or consider perhaps replacing your receiver. Try taking your Freesat receiver back to your dealer and ask for a comparison between one manufacturer and another. As all BBC services are affected in the same way I'm sure this should reveal any diffferences.