boogle198

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM500S
Multi-LNB Dish (Wavefield Toroidal)
My Location
UK
Hi there,

I have a Dreambox DM500S which is connected to my multi-LNB dish (Wavefield Toroidal 90). I use three LNBs, one pointing at Hotbird (13 degrees east), one at Astra 1 (19 degrees east), and Astra 2(28.2 degrees east).

Apart from the Dreambox freezing occasionally, I have been having big problems with my setup recently. Firstly, when I turn the DB on or reboot it, it takes ages to get a channel. For example, it might take half an hour or so to get BBC1.

It's scary changing channel because sometimes when I do the new channel won't work, and then I can't get any channels at all.

The problem has got worse with time.

Nearly all of the time, the BER is very high. I have less problems with Hotbird.

I am trying to work out whether it is my box, or the dish that is causing these problems. The dish was configured by a professional company.

Does anybody have any suggestions about this?

luckya4u

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dream box
My Location
Saudi arabia
I give you one suggestion.
Try to change the Lnbs except hotbird.May be It solve your problem as it solved mine.
Thanks.Keep smiling.

boogle198

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM500S
My Location
UK
Thank you for your suggestion.

Which LNBs are the best for the DM500S?

A nonymous

Reaction score
Ever considered it may be your DISEqC switch :-doh!

I have had problems in the past with certain makes of DISEqC switches and lnbs. Could be worth looking at :)

Try just connecting the cable to just one lnb at a time to see if the problem is with the lnbs. If everything checks out its probably your DISEqC switch that is up the swanny :(

:-beer

Nano

GlennMillarTV

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None, well Sky Digi...
My Location
Portadown, Northern Ireland
I've had experience of poor cable causing the DISEqC signals being corrupted and selecting the incorrect LNB or switching a monoblock incorrectly or not at all.

boogle198

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM500S
My Location
UK
I've never considered that - I'll attach each LNB separately tomorrow and will let you know if it solves the problem.

A friend has suggested that I reflash the box, but I really don't fancy going through all the reconfiguration.

Thanks!

boogle198

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM500S
My Location
UK
Hi guys,

It seems the switch was the problem. I tried plugging direct into one LNB at a time and got a much much higher signal and the DB locked onto the signal straight away.

So...

My question now is does anybody have a particular recommendation for switches used with the DM500S. Do some work better than others.

Kind Regards

A nonymous

Reaction score
It seems the switch was the problem

Thought so :D

I've used Televes & Fracarro switches with no problems at all:)

Other ones I've used without any major problems have been Golden Interstar & Global which are at the cheaper end of the market.

Stay away from the Vialuna DISEqC switches. I've had nothing but trouble with them as they are very piccy about which lnbs will work with them :-doh!

:-beer

Nano

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
the BER is very high

In my experience when you change to a channel with a high BER the Dreambox freaks out and gets confused. With a motorised system you may get "please wait while the motir is turning.." message even when you've not selected a channel on another satellite. You're not using a motor but the symptoms sound the same.

And a 500 isn't the most stable Dreambox.

boogle198

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM500S
My Location
UK
thanks

what would you suggest would be a suitable upgrade, should I decide to pack in the dreambox at Chistmas?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
A 600, 7020 or 800? It's just the 500 that can sometimes be a bit flaky when asked to do anything more complex than watch a channel on a single satellite

I've no experience of other STBs.

boogle198

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM500S
My Location
UK
Hi,

I've looked at your suggestions for the switch and the "Global DiSEqC 4/1 switch with weather protection" is a bit on the pricey side but I like the fact it has wather protection. My satellite setup often fails when it's raining and so perhaps water was getting into the switch.

_http://www.sateuro.com/product_overview.asp?id=1943&catid=12&subcat=57

Do you think this is a good buy?