Spanish DTT receivers

Pmartin252

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a DTT receiver in the UK to bring back to Spain - UK prices are a lot lower. BUT... can't seem to find any info on the standards used in europe.

Does anyone know whether a Freeview box will pick up the DTT tarnsmissions in Spain? I notice that the Philips model has exactly the same number as the one available here in Spain.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
UK DTT uses 2048 carriers in the 8MHz bandwidth "2k CODFM". Other
countries use 8192 carriers "8k CODFM".

I believe the newer boxes support 2k and 8k so they should work as long as the transmissions are not encrypted. I double that any extra's such as interactive stuff will work though.

I am planning on buying a UK DTT box when I visit the UK next month. I will hopefully be able to use it in most of Europe when I'm travelling around.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I believe that www.Technisat.de make DTT receivers for all of the European systems. might be worth looking on their site, they aren't the cheapest, but their kit is well made.

@ Cjgall, if you are visiting anywhere near Berkshire PM me or post in Sleepy Hollow, I can get you one at wholesale, the Samsung commercial model is excellent.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
Yorkshire I'm afraid, but thanks for the offer rolfw. I took a look at the Technisat web site, I must say there tiny DigiPal 1 dvb-r box looks really good, so good I am thinking about buying one. Does anybody know if the DigiPal 1 will work in the UK?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They're not selling it in the UK yet, I'll try and find out, you could probably get the information from Sateuropa.co.uk or may be worth E-mailing Technisat direct.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, very nice, but that is a satellite receiver and this thread is discussing the availability of DTT receivers (Digital Terrestrial Television).

Also you may want to advertise your auction, but this is not the place for it.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
£250 reserve is also a lot of money , considering they can be bought new for £182

Pmartin252

Reaction score
I can now confirm that at least one model of Freeview box bought in the UK works here in Spain. Someone brought over a Thompson DTI 550 for me which picks up all of the DTT channels (so far) available in this part of the Costa Blanca - TVE1, TVE2, Antena3, Canal+ (though scrambled all the time), Tele5, Net TV and Veo TV. The only problem is that Antena 3 is silent. I don't know whether this is because of a compatability problem with the receiver or just a technical hitch with transmission.

Regards

Martin

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
I ended up buying an elcheapo Segam box from asda while is was in the uk to test 2k/8k CODFM mentioned in my earlier post. I can confirm that the sagem works 100% here in Holland. I know that the Belgium test signal can be picked up with Dutch dtt equipment so as long as a UK box supports 8k CODFM then they will work in all(?)/most European countries. The only downside is that the full EPG and interactive stuff will not work.