TM-F3/5
Octagon SF4800
Octagon SX88
Fibo Gregorian 1.2m
Motec Positioner
Inverto c120 twin LNB
My Location
Central Scotland
One must consider the motivation behind this move. Personally I would like to all channels in HD. There is, however the possibility, that the extra cost of the equipment will weed out a lot of channels so there are less media for the Turkish government to control...or am I being paranoid?

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
I'm still raging they took away the English original language content featuring TRT HAD channel! lol They had some Discovery Network originally produced content ect.

Fisty McB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See my signature...
My Location
County Tyrone, N. Ireland
"...meanwhile in Britain the Channel 4 TV network and the satellite based provider, Freesat..."

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
"...meanwhile in Britain the Channel 4 TV network and the satellite based provider, Freesat..."

Nowt wrong with 1980s fuzzyvision.

As long as your telly is less than 28" across :D

Fisty McB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See my signature...
My Location
County Tyrone, N. Ireland
One must consider the motivation behind this move. Personally I would like to all channels in HD. There is, however the possibility, that the extra cost of the equipment will weed out a lot of channels so there are less media for the Turkish government to control...or am I being paranoid?
Understandable to be suspicious of the motives, but without knowing the full technical requirements that are being set down would it not be possible for some of the smaller broadcasters to continue to send an SD feed that's upconverted to HD by the time it's sent from the uplink station, as a way to get around this?

Nowt wrong with 1980s fuzzyvision.

As long as your telly is less than 28" across :D
A 720 x 576 pixel video stream, given a decent bit rate, can still produce pretty decent results on some screens up to around 37-40 inches in my experience. A DVD that has been well encoded with multipass can make a lot of people struggle to tell the difference especially up against a HD channel whose bit rate is not terribly high. An old Sony LCD TV I had that was 32 inches did a pretty good job at masking the deficiencies of low-bitrate 544 x 576 widescreen broadcasts often used by many channels on Freeview and FTA at 28 East. It's with my sister now.

RustySpoons

Sleepy Hollow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
50E - 30W
2x CM 1.2m Polar Mount/Jack
65E- 65W
Gibertini 1m OP100 - STAB HH100 - Inverto Black Ultra 0.2 Twin
Mutant HD51
Edision Primo IP S2
Dreambox DM800HD
Venton Unibox HD2
Sony Bravia 55" 4K
My Location
South Wales
Understandable to be suspicious of the motives, but without knowing the full technical requirements that are being set down would it not be possible for some of the smaller broadcasters to continue to send an SD feed that's upconverted to HD by the time it's sent from the uplink station, as a way to get around this?

A 720 x 576 pixel video stream, given a decent bit rate, can still produce pretty decent results on some screens up to around 37-40 inches in my experience. A DVD that has been well encoded with multipass can make a lot of people struggle to tell the difference especially up against a HD channel whose bit rate is not terribly high. An old Sony LCD TV I had that was 32 inches did a pretty good job at masking the deficiencies of low-bitrate 544 x 576 widescreen broadcasts often used by many channels on Freeview and FTA at 28 East. It's with my sister now.
It's all a con, they are pushing 4K but they don't fully utilise 1080P, when HD first came out the quality was much higher, with higher bitrates etc.
Watch any 4K programme on a 1080P TV or monitor downscaled and it's what 1080P should be.

Again as you said those lower resolutions can look great, it's all about the bitrate and encoding.

mikeisyou

Feed Hunter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SX88+, Static 1.2m Raven Dish (22w to 33e), Motorized Dish (9e to 52e)
My Location
England
It's all a con, they are pushing 4K but they don't fully utilise 1080P, when HD first came out the quality was much higher, with higher bitrates etc.
Watch any 4K programme on a 1080P TV or monitor downscaled and it's what 1080P should be.

Again as you said those lower resolutions can look great, it's all about the bitrate and encoding.

Yep I couldn't agree with you more, a good example are satellite feeds that come direct from an outside broadcast if you look at the same broadcast on the channel itself it never looks as good. Also you can't tell the difference between 4K and HD depending on how big the screen is and how far away you sit. HDR is where the action is at but they don't seem to be pushing this as much as the 4K at the moment.