uk
hi is there anyway to stream vlc .3mu files on say a webpage or just generally

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @madman1,

Can you please be more specific in what you want to do?
It is certainly possible to stream A/V files from a web page.
I assume you are referring to .m3u files? These are not in themselves media files but they are Playlist files that point a media player to the location of a media file/s.

When you click a VPID in the Enigma Webif of a Dreambox a file called video.m3u is sent to the PC/Laptop. When opened with VLC this plays the selected channel on the PC/Laptop. The video.m3u file is, as said above, a playlist file and its contents will be similar to:
Code:
http://192.168.0.24:31339/0,03ec,00a3,005c
This is for my Dreambox streaming 4fun.TV on 13E.
The stream from a Dreambox is a single user stream and can only be viewed by one PC. If you want to multicast your Dreambox from a web site then you will need to first stream from Dreambox to a server on your LAN, running VLC. You will need to set VLC to multicast a stream out of the server after setting suitable Audio & Video compression so that it will 'fit' your broadband upstream speed. This may be as low as 256Kb/s and the Dreambox stream will be up to 7Mb/s for Standard Definition channels, more for HD.

Without knowing what you want to do, this is just to give an idea of some of the things that will be required or must be taken into account.

Hope this helps?

Best wishes, John.

madman1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm500s sky 60cm dish amd x2 6000 4gb ram nvidia 9800gt ubuntu 10.10
My Location
uk
I just want to stream my channels to family in other part of country

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @madman1,

You still do not say if Unicast (one user) or Multicast (more than one user) is required?

For Unicast, you could use a Slingbox (or VLC on a server), as I do to watch my Dreambox remotely. I control my Dreambox and select channels using the Enigma Webif (via Dropbear SSH secure connection).
You might not want your family changing channels on your Dreambox, so they would watch whichever channel you were watching.
Depending on your Broadband upstream speed, the quality could be very poor. My upstream speed is about 350Kb/s which gives watchable but relatively poor quality pictures. It is just about OK to watch on my 9" screen laptop but would look awful on a big screen TV.

For multicast, you would have to use something like VLC on a permanently running server PC (or at least, running when they wanted to watch). The upstream bandwidth restrictions still apply, if not more so as you will potentially be streaming even more data!

Try reading some of these threads to get a better idea of what you will have to do:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/.../dreambox-support-forum/&fb_xd_fragment=#1032

Best wishes, John.