LT Fifth Generation & Enigma2,
Astra 19.2E/28.2E/Hotbird 13E
Ethernet Bridge 200mbps,
PS3,
CI-AlphaCrypt
My Location
Germany
Hi folks,

looking to play avi. files from PC HDD to DB using stream2dream & VLC. Unfortunately, while there is a very good 'how to' on LT's homepage, I'm having problems setting up the configuration on the stream2dream - namely entering the Media and Write directories.

Do I have to configure these somewhere in VLC or do I have to configure my NFS settings ?

Would be grateful for any help, many thanks.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Bob the Bruce said:
Hi folks,

looking to play avi. files from PC HDD to DB using stream2dream & VLC. Unfortunately, while there is a very good 'how to' on LT's homepage, I'm having problems setting up the configuration on the stream2dream - namely entering the Media and Write directories.

Do I have to configure these somewhere in VLC or do I have to configure my NFS settings ?

Would be grateful for any help, many thanks.

Isn't there a loss of quality on the already low quality bitrate of the *.avi files while streaming?
I always burn files from PC HDD to a rewritable media, and play them on a suitable DVD player.
Also I can't stand the noise from the PC.

Bob the Bruce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows XP OS Firefox,
Samsung 3210 WLAN SL,
Dreambox 7025+,
Hitachi HDT725025,
Ethernet Bridge 200mbps,
PS3,
CI-AlphaCrypt
My Location
Germany
HB13DISH said:
Isn't there a loss of quality on the already low quality bitrate of the *.avi files while streaming?

….most likely but I'll not know till I've got this configured and seen it myself ;-)

I was though hoping to save myself the trouble of writing to disc. My external HDD has a good 220Gb's worth of avi and thought I'd try the VLC route. The PC is in a different room to the TV/DB and connected with an ethernet bridge at 160mbps, so thought I'd just as well use it ! Easier said than done if, like me, you've not got a clue what you're doing :-newb

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Bob the Bruce said:
….most likely but I'll not know till I've got this configured and seen it myself ;-)

I was though hoping to save myself the trouble of writing to disc. My external HDD has a good 220Gb's worth of avi and thought I'd try the VLC route. The PC is in a different room to the TV/DB and connected with an ethernet bridge at 160mbps, so thought I'd just as well use it ! Easier said than done if, like me, you've not got a clue what you're doing :-newb

Sorry I am not able to help much, as I haven't tried streaming till now.
But I think that there are many threads about streaming, so need to read a bit. Perhaps using VLC alone is enough.
Not sure about the *.avi format though. I know that Dreambox doesn't support this format, but hopefully streaming would be OK.
In the meantime, have you tried streaming a *.mpg file as DB does support this format. If you can get it working, it could mean that *.avi will not.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Just in case the streaming will not work, you can try to find a cheap DVD player with a USB port that would play DivX or avi files.

Bob the Bruce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows XP OS Firefox,
Samsung 3210 WLAN SL,
Dreambox 7025+,
Hitachi HDT725025,
Ethernet Bridge 200mbps,
PS3,
CI-AlphaCrypt
My Location
Germany
No probs HB, as a complete novice though on most of the DB's other (wonderful) capabilities I'm sure there'll be other times !!

But yes, you're right about avi and had intended to convert everything to mpeg2 but apparently stream2dream, used in conjunction with VLC on the LT image's media centre, converts it to mpeg during streaming. The LT's homepage is a bit of a building site at the moment hence my post here and I've tried various other forums without success and the search facilities are woeful.

Thanks anyway :-)

Bob the Bruce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows XP OS Firefox,
Samsung 3210 WLAN SL,
Dreambox 7025+,
Hitachi HDT725025,
Ethernet Bridge 200mbps,
PS3,
CI-AlphaCrypt
My Location
Germany
HB13DISH said:
Just in case the streaming will not work, you can try to find a cheap DVD player with a USB port that would play DivX or avi files.

Should work (see above post), I'm obviously just not very good with tutorials !!

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I could never get VLC to work but I did get TVersity Media Server to stream successfully to my Dreambox.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
I've never used stream2dream, To do what you are trying to. I use VLC on the PC and the VLCF (VLC Front end) plugin on the dreambox. (Available from IHAD) You can stream any file format that VLC can handle to the dreambox.

VLCF will allow you to browse through the directories on your PC with the remote, and play whatever you want.(After a bit of buffering)

Its pretty simple to setup, there is a tutorial here _http://wiki.videolan.org/How_to_DBox

Bob the Bruce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows XP OS Firefox,
Samsung 3210 WLAN SL,
Dreambox 7025+,
Hitachi HDT725025,
Ethernet Bridge 200mbps,
PS3,
CI-AlphaCrypt
My Location
Germany
...thanks folks. Will try again tomorrow (busy now grabbing the Radio Times) and let you know how I'm getting on !

Cheers:)

Bob the Bruce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows XP OS Firefox,
Samsung 3210 WLAN SL,
Dreambox 7025+,
Hitachi HDT725025,
Ethernet Bridge 200mbps,
PS3,
CI-AlphaCrypt
My Location
Germany
Ok, everything fixed. And my apologies for the wildly inaccurate description of LT's homepage and forum ! I hadn't registered, and once I had, found the answer to my problem in no time.

My thanks to all for your sterling contributions :-thumb1