Strobing

kevinw

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London
Hi,

I've noticed in the last week or so a type of strobing effect when certain graphics appear on screen. I have a Pace 2500b with a FTV (or is it FTA - I can never remember) card.

The signal strength and quality are unchanaged from before. I notice the effect when a caption, or a graphic is displayed on screen, or when I bring up the Services menu, for example. It's a sort of shimmer, which makes it look as if the lines above and below the menu options are jumping around slightly.

It's not hugely inconvenient, but I was just wondering if there's anything obvious I should adjust/test/replace to eliminate it. I hope it's not a sign that my digibox is on the way out...

Thanks,
Kevin

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Do you have the the video on the digibox set to RGB Kevin? The PAL setting will give you a bright wavering surround to the box generated graphics which will be worse on certain TVs.

kevinw

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London
Hi Rolf,

The video output is set to PAL. I haven't tried RGB, though maybe I should.

The thing that mystifies me is why it should suddenly start doing this after six months of working perfectly. Could it be influenced by any nearby electrical appliances? I've been racking my brains to try and think if I've changed anything recently, but I'm sure I haven't.

Regards,
Kevin

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would certainly check to see if you can use the RGB setting, I have had situations where the video setting has reverted to PAL or the Scart voltage control has turned itself off, often after a software update. It could of course be a bad scart connection caused by over zealous behind the set cleaning, normally by a significant other.

kevinw

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London
Hi Rolf,

Thanks for the reply. I've tried RGB, but it doesn't appear to have any effect.

What's the Scart voltage control, and how do you check if it's been turned off? I've tried changing Scart cables, by the way, but it hasn't made any difference.

Also, do you think it would be worth forcing a software upgrade? Somebody told me this is possible by holding down one of the buttons on the digibox as it's turned on, but cautioned that it should be used only as a last resort.

Thanks,
Kevin

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The voltage control toggle is in the picture menu with the RGB/PAL toggle, when you toggle these they should make a visible difference to the picture, if they don't then it might be worth checking that the scart is in the TV slot on the back of the digibox and in the correct slot on the TV (if there are more than one). What make of TV is it Kevin and do you have a choice of modes when you press the AV/EXT button on the remote?

kevinw

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London
I've checked Scart Control (no mention of voltage - is that the right one?) and it's definitely on. But turning it off doesn't seem to have any real effect on the picture.

The TV is a Brandt (which I think is the same as Thomson in the UK). The AV button cycles through AV, AV-S and the last selected preset channel button that was used.

Kevin

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
OK Kevin, I'm assuming that there is only the one scart socket on the back of the set and that you have the scart lead in the TV and not VCR socket on the Digibox. This being the case, then toggling the PAL/RGB setting should change the picture quality, if it doesn't, then the TV is not compatible/not working probably, or the digibox is playing up.

It may be worth just doing a reset on the digibox by disconnecting from the mains and then reconnecting after 30 seconds, you will possibly then need to re-toggle the RGB setting. The last resort is the forced update, remove card switch off at mains and after several seconds switch on at mains whilst keeping the backup button on the digibox depressed, keep depressed until all the lights come on and there should be a message displayed on the screen.

If none of this works, then I'm pretty much at a loss.

kevinw

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London
Hi Rolf,

Yes, there's only one Scart socket and it's all connected OK. Toggling PAL/RGB does change the picture quality slightly, but has no effect on the strobing.

I forced a software download, which went OK. But the strobing still persists.

Thanks for your help. Looks as if I've exhausted all the options.

kevin