Strong winds on way ...

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
I didn't think it was that bad, here anyway, but there has been some minor damage reported..

G

It got pretty hairy here again around lunchtime - some very severe gusts over a period of an hour or so: The Overhead Line Re-closers were doing overtime and we had 8 momentary interruptions to the Elastictrickery, though thankfully none at all last night.

Probably a dislodged branch causing clashing between conductors until it finally fell clear - perils and joys of rural living!

Tiddling it down now.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No excitement here at all. The winds had died down by bedtime.

There ws some wet snow during this afternoon but it didnt stick apart from up on the tops of the hills surrounding us

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
My bl**dy dish/motor assembly has moved. Not sure whether its the dish or the motor, but it seems to be azimuth thats off.

I guess its out with the ladders come the weekend. :(

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
The usual is movement of the motor around the pole. Well there had to one here with movement due to wind..... and to be fair I'm glad it wasn't me :-rofl2

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
hey Satelliteman... there's a guy got the same problem on that 1224 thread.. Wolverhampton near enough to you ?

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
Oh ... forgot... my mate had a tree break in two last night...... cost him £25 and he'd just planted it .:-rofl2..

....we did tell him to stake it ...

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
pedro2000uk said:
hey Satelliteman... there's a guy got the same problem on that 1224 thread.. Wolverhampton near enough to you ?

Wrong side of B/ham for us for a re-align, I'm sure there are plenty local sat installers who can help in such a large region :)

M1JWR

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Plaza st550,
1.2m prodelin offset dish,
12in jack/echostar polar mount,
invacom c120 lnb/channel master feedhorn
My Location
The Debatable Lands
Last nite was a breeze, compaired to 26th december 1998, that is when hurricane stephen came through, 70mph mean speed, 125mph gusts, it was centred over glasgow area and south scotland and north of england copped that big style,trees gone, roofs gone, it was absalutely frightening, the dish i have up now was up then,on a big echostar mount, the polar mount is clamped on with 2 large bolts,the polar mount/dish went round until it was against the wall on its east side, the following day i went out and slackened the 2 bolts and moved it back to south which i had marked, i had left the dish on 1w before the storm as they were west winds,the sensible thing with sharp edge to wind, er no !!!
Fast forward to jan 2005, the carlisle floods and everybody went on about the severe gales,yes it was well iffy that night aswell, but compaired to boxing day 1998 no contest
I never ever want to see the like of that again
And if analoguesat was in gala at the time he will remember it aswell, the film twister will give you all a good idea.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
satelliteman said:
The usual is movement of the motor around the pole. Well there had to one here with movement due to wind..... and to be fair I'm glad it wasn't me :-rofl2
I suspect that the pole turned a few degrees rather than the motor or anything that is bolted to it. Everything has a good bite except for the U-bolts holding the pole to the brackets.

I went outside during the worst of the wind and realised that the dish was vibrating (The wind was blowing across it) and thought it would be a good idea to face it slightly more into the wind................. Within an hour it had moved :-(

Wont be trying that again!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
In the NW it is very heavy snow, where did this come from???

Attachments

• 19012009 022.jpg
    19012009 022.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 25
G

Just a brief flurry of Sleet here in the Moors this morning - back to persisting down now.

I thought the N.W was virtually immune to snow because of topography, gulf stream effects etc.?

Are we seeing signs of Global Cooling, perhaps? :-shifty

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rai uno said:
I thought the N.W was virtually immune to snow because of topography, gulf stream effects etc.?

No gulf stream effects do not come 30 miles inland, if you live in the micro-climate of Southport, Lytham and St Annes, Blackpool etc then sure, also the salt in the air will inhibit snow. The problem here is that the resultant warm air from the gulf stream rises and ensures that all the clouds suddenly get lifted across the Pennines and they then realise they have to much water vapour in them and either dump it on us as rain or snow if it is cold enough.

G

Aha! Thanks for the meteorological info :)

And your experiences have just been borne out by reports on the Steve Wright show on Radio 2.

The last bout of snow saw us confined to barracks for two days as SWMBO couldn't get the 3 miles to the main road to get to work.

Edit: Just submitted this Post and looked out of the Play Room to see ............ a Blizzard. Typical.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rai uno said:
Edit: Just submitted this Post and looked out of the Play Room to see ............ a Blizzard. Typical.

Ah you now have an early warning system :cool::cool:;)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
5°C, wind picking up and sun shining through - South Midlands :cool:

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Snow is rare here but, we just had our most significant fall in a few years today.

My work mates are all gone home for fear of getting stuck, I'm the only numpty still here as I am within walking distance of home. O-no

Attachments

• P190109_15.23[02].JPG
    P190109_15.23[02].JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 19
  • P190109_14.39[02].JPG
    P190109_14.39[02].JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 23