Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Im thinking of adding to our already horribly overcomplicated av setup. Im wanting basically the modern day equivalent of the video recorder.

Im thinking of a hard drive fitted machine so I can pull things off the Sky+ box by scart, then when Ive got enough burn from the hard drive to dvd.

Must be relatively simple to use, and be reasonably cheap.

Any suggestions?

A/S

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I thought Sky+ recordings were encrypted, in some way? Not ever having viewed Sky, or owned their equipment, I have no experience with them but I just use a LG DVD recorder, with my satellite receiver, I can record onto the hard drive, then edit, using the basic editing options, then burn them to DVD using the fast option, so it only takes a minute to burn the disk.
You can get the older ones, with an analogue tuner, quite cheap, or a new one, with built in freeview.
Just checked and there are some used DVD recorders, on Amazon, for around £80, with 160GB hard drive.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The pay channels record encrypted yes, and are decrypted by the card on playback, but most if not all the archiving will be from fta channels - like Top Of The Pops on BBC4

Id would have thought that if the pay stuff is run off the Sky+ in real time the video signal should carry over ok.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I have one of these, but I paid a lot more:
Code:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B002BSI3UI/ref=sr_1_3_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1346689788&sr=8-3&condition=used

It does everything I need although the editing functions are a little crude. It should work if you connect via a scart, set the DVD recorder to AV1, start playing the hard drive, on your Sky+ and recording on the DVD recorder.