Website
www.thecaretakers.net
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo, Duo2
85cm Fracarro Penta dish
Inverto BLACK Ultra QUAD
My Location
South East Coast, England
Well, I've just replaced my Super dark motor after just a year (or so). The problem was slack on the pole (backlash) and after several attempts of trying to adjust it, I decided to buy new.

Curious how the backlash adjustment was supposed to work, I decided to open up the lid. Expecting to see some springs and rods, I find it is nothing more than a wedge of aluminium that pushes against the motor housing.

The block is meant to slide (see photos) in and out when the screw is turned in the side. As you can see, the screw is broken. I originally broke the head while in use, but trying to remove the screw in the kitchen, I found out why it wasn't adjusting, it had fused itself hard within the block. Trying to turn it with pliers, it was so stuck that I managed to break the screws body.

There is no water seal on this motor between the body and lid, so as you can see, although the lid fixes fairly snug, water has made some penetration.

I've now purchased the Superior Dark Motor which claims to have automatic backlash adjustment. My observations are that apart from the method of adjustment, there seems little difference between the Super and Superior. I suspect that the backlash is a known problem with the Dark Motor which they have tried to address with the Superior model.

The amount of play on my Super Motor was frighteningly noticeable, but the motor did move quickly. The Superior motor is a lot slower which I suspect they have reduced the teeth gap on the motor wheel (again maybe to address the amount of possible play).

I've taken some photos for you and hope this post gives owners of this motor an idea how the backlash mechanism works. It's so basic the word mechanism is giving a little too much credibility lol

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 211
  • p7.jpg
    p7.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 207
  • p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 210
  • p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 205
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 213
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 221
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 232
  • p8.jpg
    p8.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 188
  • p9.jpg
    p9.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 201
  • p10.jpg
    p10.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 202
  • p11.jpg
    p11.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 236

Satcom1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 Meter Primestar Elliptical C/KU. Twinhan 1025 PCI(Linux), Coolsat 6000, Winegard 76 cm dish. 8' Unimesh, HCC9300 Receiver.
Diamond 9000 HD, 1m prime focus, 1.2 m prime focus, both on C Band.
My Location
Chicago
Looks like what is sold in US as DG 280 thru 380 series. Seems well made with the acception that they didn't put anti seize compound on screw threads and wedge slide.

Attachments

• DG280_Gears.jpg
    DG280_Gears.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 134

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
hi there!
yes this are all oem products.what this dealer in uk sales!
in germany golden interstar is the distrubutor if this motor!
looks,not dark,but inside the same:)

if you order,enough quantity ,of items from the manufactor,in korea,or where every,you simple,have to put a diffrent name,on the sticker,and finish is the new product !

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Hi m8's ...
I was all set to order a superior dark motor from southern ...but my order was cancelled due to lack of stock.
I'm now wondering if this was blessing in disguise ..in view of caretakers report.

I still like the look of the build ..but am now very apprehensive as the reason I was replacing my motor was due to backlash issues.

I know it would void my warranty (should I still buy one) ..but would sealing the motor properly to prevent water getting in and perhaps putting grease over the backlash screws ..before mounting it provide effective protection ?

rgds
VS

thecaretaker

Reaction score
Website
www.thecaretakers.net
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo, Duo2
85cm Fracarro Penta dish
Inverto BLACK Ultra QUAD
My Location
Don't let me put you off. Generally it is rock solid motor.

Mine was the Super Dark version, not the Superior Dark motor.

I've now replaced mine for the Superior Dark Motor so it wasn't that bad. More of a case of better the devil you know....

I hope they have sorted out any backlash issues with the Superior. It claims to have automatic backlash and it does also have a large Allin key (under a sticker) for adjusting it too although it is not published in the instruction manual.

As for water getting in, it didn't do much damage. The salty sea air I suffer may have contributed toward the screw corroding itself in the thread.

Please don't let my post put you off. It wasn't my intention to slag off the motor, just pass on my experience with it and show folk how the backlash screw mechanism works inside when you turn it.

I was thinking about putting a bit of silicone around the lid just to keep it from corroding.

Warranty or not, if I had the Super dark Motor again, armed with what I know now, I would definitely open in up and put some Lithium grease or similar on the screw threads.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Thanks Caretaker...
...The more information you have ..the better armed to deal with problems , real or imagined
..at least thats how I feel about it ;)

Like you I'd be inclined to imrove the motors ability to withstand the foul british weather...even at the expense of voiding the warranty.
I'd much rather not have to bring a faulty or seized motor down the pole after a year or so ...when a bit of grease or silicone would prevent it.
cheers m8
VS

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Satcom1 said:
Looks like what is sold in US as DG 280 thru 380 series. Seems well made with the exception that they didn't put anti-seize compound on screw threads and wedge slide.

Go to the front of the class Satcom1

The Powertech DG-380 is (was) a blindingly good motor though for what it cost (trade), and I'm sure the retailer/badger made enough money to send out a few that failed within warranty.

Zero backlash as a promotion though is entirely misleading, I met up with a couple of companies dealing in such devices a few years ago (oil rigs/deep sea diving modules) and the true cost was staggering.

_http://www.heason.com/content/1/108/actuators.html

thecaretaker

Reaction score
Website
www.thecaretakers.net
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo, Duo2
85cm Fracarro Penta dish
Inverto BLACK Ultra QUAD
My Location
Just found an image of the DG-380 box to compared it to the Superior box. They don't hide the fact that it is the same motor do they?.

The splash that says "Software Limit protection" and even their slogan under that which says "The best choice to motorize your satellite antenna" is identical.

May I suggest there are probably dozens of identical motors, all claiming to be "The best choice to motorize your satellite antenna" lol

Attachments

• superior.jpg
    superior.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 123
  • DG380.jpg
    DG380.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 127

Satcom1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 Meter Primestar Elliptical C/KU. Twinhan 1025 PCI(Linux), Coolsat 6000, Winegard 76 cm dish. 8' Unimesh, HCC9300 Receiver.
Diamond 9000 HD, 1m prime focus, 1.2 m prime focus, both on C Band.
My Location
Chicago
They stopped selling the Stabb HH series motor here in the states, what a shame. They developed the USALS software and distributed it FREE to receiver manufacturers. The mechanical design of their motors was very good by comparison, likely the best.

Interesting that the Powertech DG motors have the Stabb USALS software loaded and most likely without license from Stabb.O-no

DARKMOTOR

EAGLE TEAM
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
satellite man
My Location
UK
thecaretaker said:
Well, I've just replaced my Super dark motor after just a year (or so). The problem was slack on the pole (backlash) and after several attempts of trying to adjust it, I decided to buy new.

Curious how the backlash adjustment was supposed to work, I decided to open up the lid. Expecting to see some springs and rods, I find it is nothing more than a wedge of aluminium that pushes against the motor housing.

The block is meant to slide (see photos) in and out when the screw is turned in the side. As you can see, the screw is broken. I originally broke the head while in use, but trying to remove the screw in the kitchen, I found out why it wasn't adjusting, it had fused itself hard within the block. Trying to turn it with pliers, it was so stuck that I managed to break the screws body.

There is no water seal on this motor between the body and lid, so as you can see, although the lid fixes fairly snug, water has made some penetration.

I've now purchased the Superior Dark Motor which claims to have automatic backlash adjustment. My observations are that apart from the method of adjustment, there seems little difference between the Super and Superior. I suspect that the backlash is a known problem with the Dark Motor which they have tried to address with the Superior model.

The amount of play on my Super Motor was frighteningly noticeable, but the motor did move quickly. The Superior motor is a lot slower which I suspect they have reduced the teeth gap on the motor wheel (again maybe to address the amount of possible play).

I've taken some photos for you and hope this post gives owners of this motor an idea how the backlash mechanism works. It's so basic the word mechanism is giving a little too much credibility lol

You are showing the pictures of Super Darkmotor not Superior Darkmotor all metal...

Picture 1 show you rong

rong picture or rong motor!¬!!!!

SUperDarkmotor dont have any Adjusting Srues there !

Pictures 2 Show you are rong again ,Superiro Darkmotor is metal even where is the red color not plastic..

Please inform your self maybe some one sold you Super Darkmotor for Superior !!!

Attachments

• p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 76
  • p10.jpg
    p10.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 80

DARKMOTOR

EAGLE TEAM
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
satellite man
My Location
UK
thecaretaker said:
Just found an image of the DG-380 box to compared it to the Superior box. They don't hide the fact that it is the same motor do they?.

The splash that says "Software Limit protection" and even their slogan under that which says "The best choice to motorize your satellite antenna" is identical.

May I suggest there are probably dozens of identical motors, all claiming to be "The best choice to motorize your satellite antenna" lol

I have somtehink better for you

fist the difence from Darkmotor and Shiter motors.

Attachments

• DSC00669.jpg
    DSC00669.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC00666.jpg
    DSC00666.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00665.jpg
    DSC00665.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC00664.jpg
    DSC00664.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00662.jpg
    DSC00662.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC00661.jpg
    DSC00661.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC00659.jpg
    DSC00659.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 99

DARKMOTOR

EAGLE TEAM
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
satellite man
My Location
UK
1.picture one show you have rong motor in your picture
2.picture to your pciture show you that
3.picture 3 is well you rong...

coming from one discussion to others looking more then haw you start the thread you like play some games..

My unaswer is for people you like games in privouse pictuture Post.lol

Attachments

• DSC00669.jpg
    DSC00669.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 66
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 74
  • p10.jpg
    p10.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 87

ja5on

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+
My Location
england
Hi everyone

I know this is a very old tread but i see thecartaker talking aboout the Superior Dark Motor and Allen key (under a sticker) to adjust the backlash. found a Loose tube adjustment for Superior Dark Motor.txt but no mention of what sticker or size of allen key used. i see a no spanner sticker could that be it?? with my ill health i doubt i could climb and and down the ladder a few times, so was hoping someone would know so up and down once x

Thanks Jason :D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Take a multiple set of keys up there ?

Seriously, you need to take the motor apart and requires bringing it down from the mast.

That requires dismantling the dish from the motor, the motor from the mount and the cables from all. Get an installer in if you are worried.

Last edited:

ja5on

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+
My Location
england
Take a multiple set of keys up there ?

Seriously, you need to take the motor apart and requires bringing it down from the mast.

That requires dismantling the dish from the motor, the motor from the mount and the cables from all. Get an installer in if you are worried.

Yes i could take multiple keys thats not really the issue, from what i read the Superior can be done without taking apart and removing a sticker, but thought i would post as someone would know correctly. Not worried about doing myself, just dont wont more pain and bed for days.

Thanks