SW London (SW9)

bonjeroo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD box
My Location
SW London
Good morning,

I am looking for both advice and an installer. I am completely new to all this. Have had Sky for years, but now have a new requirement.

My wife is Swedish and is keen for our son to be able to watch Swedish language TV.

Please could one of you experts advise me what I need to receive this. I believe I need an additional set top box, and an additional dish (or perhaps a replacement for my Sky dish?) that is big enough to receive signals from one of the Scandinavian satellites.

I believe some channels are free to air, but suspect I may need a viewing card to see them anyway, is this the case? We don't mind taking out a subscription in Sweden if this means we get a viewing card that allows us to receive a good selection of the Swedish channels.

Please help! Advice on what equipment I need to buy would be very gratefully received. I'd also like to recommendations for a reliable installer in my area.

Perhaps one of the moderators could ensure I can receive private messages if this is something I can't set myself.

regards,

Bonjeroo

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A quality 80cm dish will suffice for reception of 1W where there is a good range of Scandinavian channels, a subscription to this package would be good, as they have English language tracks to most channels also.:) Our admin Channel Hopper may cover your area, we can enable your PM option when required.:)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Brixton is just a bit too far from me, additionally Swedish television is going to be limited to a couple of channels without a dedicated receiver and subscription card (which will require your other half to blag one from her relatives back home).

_http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Sweden.html

I would go for the maximum size dish allowed without permission as the 80cm can be temperamental in moderate/poor weather near here.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi bonjeroo, Brixton is a little out of my way but Ive done a few near there, so would do an install there if you need it. PM me if you need to.

Cheers

Mark.

bonjeroo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD box
My Location
SW London
Channel Hopper said:
Brixton is just a bit too far from me, additionally Swedish television is going to be limited to a couple of channels without a dedicated receiver and subscription card (which will require your other half to blag one from her relatives back home).

_http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Sweden.html

I would go for the maximum size dish allowed without permission as the 80cm can be temperamental in moderate/poor weather near here.

So effectively I need to apply for the Swedish equivalent of Sky, get the decoder box they supply (and the viewing card) and then have a dish installed on the roof to point at the appropriate satellite?

Sorry, I'm new to all this and am probably asking some very obvious questions.

Would a 1m dish be appropriate? Could this sit on my roof so it isn't visible from the street?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
One would not normally put a 1m dish on a roof unless there was no alternative, it makes access difficult for maintenance, plus the greater risk of damage by strong wind.

It depends which way the house faces, but on a rear wall of a house looking over the roof is possible if necessary.

But essentially, yes, that's waht you need to do, get the package and the dish can then be installed.

bonjeroo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD box
My Location
SW London
Please could a moderator advise how I can PM Robbo? Thanks.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I will send a PM with my contact details.