switching between dishes?

pgleeson

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Poland
Hi all, I have a 2m dish on my roof from which I have four cables running from the quad LNB to a distributor in the basement which then sends the signal to different rooms in the house. This works for S*Y

I would like to get a small dish for a local sat tv service, but don't want/can't run any more cables from the roof. I also don't want to run any more cables around the house.

Is there some way that I could add a splitter on the roof, maintaining the 4 cables to the s*y dish, and another 2 to the new dish? Any other ideas?

Thanks everyone for any ideas

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
So long as the LNB on your 2m dish is a QUAD, not a QUATTRO you can use a Diseqc switch no problem, as long as your recievers support it. 99% of them do.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
If it is a quattro and multiswitch you have, then a DiSEqC switch on one of the multiswitch outputs would be the other way; which means running another cable.

pgleeson

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Poland
Thanks Rick and Satman. So with a quad and a dieseqc this would get a signal from two diff dishes down the wires...I assume then that I would need a splitter in the room with the two different receivers (as one would be s*y and the second another provider, N)?

I assume that only one receiver box could get a signal at any one time?

Thanks

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
To feed the signal to a second room from the second dish the second dish would need a quad LNB and then you'd need another DiSeqc switch. There's still the proviso of whether it is actually a quad on the Astra dish and whether or not you have a qiattro with multiswitch of course.

If the receiver is DiSeqc aware then it will be able to choose whichever satelite dish it wants. A $ly receiver will only be able to "see" the dish connected to port A of the DiSeqc switch.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
LNB to a distributor in the basement

If you could take a picture of the above and upload it, we would be able to identify the LNb.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
pgleeson said:
Thanks Rick and Satman. So with a quad and a dieseqc this would get a signal from two diff dishes down the wires...I assume then that I would need a splitter in the room with the two different receivers (as one would be s*y and the second another provider, N)?

I assume that only one receiver box could get a signal at any one time?

Thanks

Ideally, you would not use a splitter, each box would have its own feed. Using the IF loop through, is one solution. A splitter would mean the two receivers conflicting. In other words, AVOID using a splitter.

More details of the switching/distibution hardware is needed, a diagram would be nice.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
As I understand it you want to combine two signals from different dishes down one cable ( more than once) and then at the other end split that signal out to different receivers to enable the Sky receiver to see the 28 East dish and the other receiver to see the other dish. I do not know any way of achieving this that would allow full reception of all frequencies and polarisations on both receivers. None of DiSEqC, stacker/destacker, splitters, 12V or any other switches are going to able to achieve this to seperate receivers. DiSEqC will combine signals to one receiver. Stacker/destacker will combine and split two signals from one dish to two receivers. Splitters will not allow complete control of each dish's lnb. Any other switches only switch between two dishes to one receiver or one dish to two receivers. You really have no alternative but additional cabling with the present setup.

EDIT Further thought if the present Sky lnb is a quad and not a quattro is to combine the four existing quad outputs using Stackers and then split them inside the house using Destackers to the the seperate Sky box inputs - not cheap and would also depend on the length and quality of the existing cable - this would then leave the two other cables for use on the other dish.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Supposing there is a quad LNB on each dish then you could take a feed from each dish to four DiSeqc switches. Then run four leads from each DiSeqc switch to each room. No need for stackers in this configfuration.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
But this would only allow for feeds from both satellites to one tuner down each cable and even if non Sky box has lnb "pass through" would only allow use of one box or the other and not both simultaneously. However we still do not know whether it is a quad or quattro and if it is a quattro then there is no way at all.