system went down tonight, need help

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
when i came home from work tonight my system was acting a bit strange. i kept getting the message "bad or no signal", althought the strength meter was reading in the 80s. now im not getting anything. the strength and quality meters are both reading zero. im using an xtreme pvr with a diseqc switch and two lnbs on astra and hotbird. i cant get any channels not even the free ones. what can i try to get it up and running again?

thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Could be a few things Doggy, first thing to do is disconnect from the mains and reboot, if it's a software problem this may cure it. If that doesn't work, check your settings, LNB, DiseqC etc, then check to see if there is the correct voltage at the LNB connector.

If the voltage is fine, then try connecting the lead from the DiseqC switch straight to one of the LNBs.

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ok ill try that. tomorrow when its dry ill check the switch. its been raining all day and im worried water has got into the switch even though it was insulated well

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ive bypassed the switch and its working again. the switch is full of water, can it be used again or is it broken. ive noticed the signal strength is stronger on channel 1 bibel tv but as i go up the channels it drops off. is this normal? is it because my signal meter is still attatched? my main channels are the dutch ones can i get them slighty stronger? right now i cant pick them up, there are sitting at channel 363

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You may be able to dry out the switch, but it may be completely knackered, I would also be concerned as to whether any water got in the cable. Most of these switches come with a waterproof housing, didn't yours?

PS. It is normal for there to be higher cable loss on higher channels, but it shouldn't be excessive over moderate distances.

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
yes it came with little blue boots, they were fitted and taped up. the water seems to hane got in via the seam. i think the cables are fine. i can get all the channels well now via astra. ill stay on astra till i get a new switch. the fact that i still had my little analogue meter connected seemed to effect the pictures, as soon as i connected up again without the meter it was perfect.
i got the switch from satellite shop it ws only ten quid.

by the way is it possible to run two recievers from the one lnb? im thinking about a reciever upstairs too. can this be done or would i need another dish and lnb?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Try one of these http://www.hollstar.com/sklep.php?SKL=1&DID=7&CID=10&PID=91 They are covered by a plastic case so will not get wet.

With regard to the second receiver, if you just want to run one satellite, just get yourself a twin LNB for whichever sat you require, if not, get two and a second diseqc switch.