systems

lexusalan

Reaction score
hi people, im just in the process of buying a house, im renting at the moment and have sky. im sick to death of paying money for sky and then having to pay more money for extra films and sports.
then i thought about getting a satellite system, could anybody here please tell me what the pro's and con's are of this and sky (channels etc). and because im thinking of getting one soonish i would like some advice on what systems to look for and so i can go and buy a system and not be sold one if you all get my jist. i will be looking to spend around 400-500 pounds and need to know what kind of things this cash will get me, will it be basic or a goos system etc.
i really need your help people because i am a total novice at anything like this and really dont want to be ripped off by anyone.
could anyone please also tell me if i can also recieve any channels that sky broadcast because i also need to sell the idea to be girlfriend lol.
thankyou al very much in advance.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
OK - to begin with - if you want to watch the Sky enteretainment / sports / movies channels you pay for them. End of story as the encryption is secure.

500 quid will get you a decent satellite system, there are hundreds of channels available in the clear in all sorts of exotic languages.

Have a look at my digital web site:

h**p://www.digitalsat.co.uk

this is the sort of satelliets & programming you would get most easily with a simple 80cm dish, although note there is very little general entertainment stuff available in English free to air.

A receiver with one of the new wonder cams in it (dragon, matrix etc) will allow you to decrypt some pay services (NOT UK Sky), but you need to do some research on this site as to the sorts of things that are available.

lexusalan

Reaction score
hello again and thanks for the reply, i have looked at your site and looks very complicated but in time im sure it will prove very usefull.

can anybody please tell me with a dish and equipment that will pick up satellite from east to west what channels i will be able to recieve. will i be able to watch good movies, sports from around europe and and music and adult channels without having to pay extra for subsciption?
please go easy on the replies and remember that we all knew nothing once, thanks agian in advance.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
lexusalan said:
hello again and thanks for the reply, i have looked at your site and looks very complicated but in time im sure it will prove very usefull.

can anybody please tell me with a dish and equipment that will pick up satellite from east to west what channels i will be able to recieve. will i be able to watch good movies, sports from around europe and music and adult channels.

I suggest you have a look at either h**p://www.lyngsat.com
or h**p://www.kingofsat.net.

There are approx 4000 channels out there on satellite and therefore it is difficult in the confines of a forum to go into such details. A receiver choice is really dictated by your budget, your level of computer literacy etc. Most people would recommend a dreambox if you can afford, but you do need some understanding of linux and feel confident in playing around with equipment and cables and most importantly networks. Have a look at what is available on kingofsat or lyngsat and especially what encryption is used. Many hundreds of channels are FTA but of course you are not going to see Premiership football FTA. It is really down to you deciding on something specific then the challenge is getting it which is where the forum can and will help. Take Analoguesat's advice and do some research first.