T&K brackets from jwhardy

NiCad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan 5900, Infinity USB, Panasonic skybox & triax zone2, Gemini 90 and other dishes, triax & grundig lnbs
My Location
Manchester (53'N 2'W)
Hi

I just bought some 18'' t&k brackets from jwhardy, when I phoned up to pay they said delivery will be an extra £13 but I bought them anyway.

Now they have arrived they seem bigger than planned - the total length of each bracket is 24 inches, and the pole will mount about 21.5'' from the wall which is more noticeable in a small garden - so what the 18'' refers to is anyones guess?

Anyway, is there a reason for the "K" part always at the bottom of the pole, as I would feel happier if the bigger k bracket was near the dish, taking the wind load and keeping it sturdy (dish will be a raven 90 & motor), or is that a dumb question and I should just copy what everyone else does? :)

Thanks

NiCad

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They have sent you 24 inch brackets, the 18" or 24" refers to the overall length of the bracket. The idea of the K bracket at the bottom is that it takes the weight of the mast, while the upper T bracket stabilises the Mast. If you are unhappy with the stability, you can always use some guy wire and tensioners on the top bracket.

NiCad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan 5900, Infinity USB, Panasonic skybox & triax zone2, Gemini 90 and other dishes, triax & grundig lnbs
My Location
Manchester (53'N 2'W)
Thanks for the instant reply rolfw, I had barely got back from making a brew!

I'm sure the brackets will be OK (I will stick to "K" at the bottom), now I have an answer I might even get it "started" today!

Thanks again,

NiCad

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If you only need the mast to be out 18", you can always drill two holes closer to the wall.

If you have paid extra carriage though for no reason other than lack of stock at JWH, try to get a refund. Every little helps

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Only problem with making extra holes, is that they need to be slots with smooth sides to allow mast adjustment to vertical.

NiCad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester (53'N 2'W)
Thanks for the advice guys, I will consider drilling some new holes a bit nearer in and file them out straight

Cheers

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
u dont need to be that precise just drill it with the biggest drill bit u can get in the drill chuck if its a 1/2 inch (13) mm chuck then a 12 mm bit should do unless u are using monster fixings then just elongate with the bit ...

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, for easy adjustment, you need smooth movement of the U bolts in the slots, easily adjustable by millimetres.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Isn't it about time that sum1 came up with a simple adjustment mech to do this vertical adjustment? A simple internal cam placed in the horizontal plane would achieve this.

There, now I've gone and given another money-making winner to the Yanks...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Its called 'drilling the holes right on the wall in the first place'.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Channel Hopper said:
Its called 'drilling the holes right on the wall in the first place'.

Unfortunately that doesn't counter a leaning wall though. :)

altis

Archived Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
MYOB
My Location
MYOB
My trick for this is to use chemical fixing bolts in the wall. With these, you effectively end up with studs sticking straight out of the bricks. Then use nuts on *both* sides of the brackets. The brackets are held away from the wall slightly but each mounting point is adjustable to any precision you like.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Not a bad method altis for larger installations, but adds unnecessarliy to the cost and installation on a small installation, particularly when the slots on the T&Ks afford quick and effective adjustment anyway. :)

NiCad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester (53'N 2'W)
Thanks for all your help, I've got the brackets onto the wall and the pole is "almost" straight - I think the top bracket needs to be packed out a bit as the u-bolts are at maximum reach and its still a bit out.
But I've put a 70cm dish on as a test and so far get: 1*W (reference point), 13*E and 19*E - Something obviously needs adjusting :)

Wish these april showers would give over!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
In my house, good weather is bad for satellites, cos that's when I go fishing!

If you can get 1W and 19E then you're not far out. :D