taken down by Rick

D

deleted

Recently i joined a thread regarding crossover cabling and on that thread i gave what i thought was good advice but,
Rick and 1 or 2 others disagreed with me fine!! thats what its all about , then because i was proving that the old way with older routers was crossover before the introduction of auto-MDIX the thread got to be a gang up on me and Rick used his powers to shut the thread down. i then posted another thread which was promptly deleted.
well if people cant stand the truth then ultimately they should not get involved and dont try to belittle people as i have been.
anyway heres the truth and if it gets deleted then my support for this forum is over.

The automatic MDI/MDI-X configuration feature eliminates the need for crossover cables, making obsolete the uplink/normal ports and manual selector switches found on many older hubs and switches and greatly reducing installation errors. Note that although Automatic MDI/MDI-X is generally implemented, a crossover cable would still be required in the occasional situation that neither of the connected devices has the feature implemented and enabled.

Although Auto-MDIX is specified as an optional feature in the 1000BASE-T standard[1], in practice it is implemented on all 1000BASE-TX interfaces.

Modern switches automatically apply an internal crossover when necessary. Besides the eventually agreed upon Automatic MDI/MDI-X, this feature may also be referred to by various vendor-specific terms including: Auto uplink and trade, Universal Cable Recognition and Auto Sensing.

That was my point and im not wrong.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
George, I didn't do anything with the second thread you had started, that was another MOD. I closed the first to prevent things getting out of hand on the advice of other MOD's

And you are still wrong. I've been working with these things since before they had "auto sensing" if you used the wrong cable it didn't work. What your posting actually proves that your wrong.

If your still unhappy I suggest that you take this up with Rolf, Topper, Satelliteman or Analoguesat and they can decide if my behaviour is correct or not.

Rick

A nonymous

Reaction score
George please don't let this get out of hand. I suggest you just forget about the other threads and just let it go.

I have better things to do than argue with somebody if its going nowhere.

I make my point and stick to it. If somebody has another point of view its their right to speak it.

When using capital letters to denote shouting as you have done in the past threads, please honestly tell me you didn't expect the same sort of response.

Just let it go and get on with it. This evenings thread will be forgotten about by this time next week so please take my advice and let sleeping dogs lie.

Nano

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM800HD - Technomate TM600 - Technomate TM500 Super - SkyBox F5 -- Triax TD110 Dish on TM2600 Motor - Zone 1 sky dish
My Location
Newcastle, UK
Give it a rest mate, you're wrong.

"a crossover cable would still be required in the occasional situation that neither of the connected devices has the feature implemented and enabled." relates to two computers without MDI/MDI-X, THE ONLY situation where a crossover is needed, where a router is involved there is NEVER a need for a crossover cable, whether MDI is available and enabled or not!

When using a crossover to connect a client device (PC/Dreambox) to a router you're actually using the technically incorrect cable and invoking the MDI/MDI-X to correct your mistake...

And that is that.