TD110: Arm support, spacing with a washer?

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
Ok somewhere I saw a thread that putting a washer on the back of a TD110 arm to space it slightly increased signal by positioning the LNB slightly better in the focal point of the dish, only now I can't find it? Anyone done this or point me to the thread? Washer between arm and dish bracket where wingnut is?

Also, even though I drilled the arm and installed the extra bolt that came with the multilnb holder, I seem to have quite a bit of play in the arm still (up/down), do these arms need to be braced with some extra supports, or do I just need to tighten the bolts at the back of the dish that are through the bracket and arm more? (worried about too much bending thin bracket/arm pieces).

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ duo with a 300gb hdd also dm500 and tecnomate 5200 with a 1m and 1.1m motorized dishes and minidish fixed to 28.2
My Location
Belfast
Hi ben I have never seen the thread but I do use the invert black ultra with a long neck this will do the same thing as you are trying by moving it back and forth to get the focal point just right. Hope this help mate.

Chris

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
Thanks Chris (sorry email notification not turned on missed your reply).

I am using black ultra with long neck, but there was more than one thread that talked about a washer to space the arm down from the dish bracket from what I remember to make the arm LNB in better focus, I just can't find it now!!!

Paul

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
The mod is normally needed for short neck LNb's, although there are various threads advising adding washers to raise the LNb boom a tad.

I believe the TD110 favours a shorter focal length for the majority of shorter LNBf's of about 15mm-25mm. If your using the Black Ultra, you should be able to get the correct focal length.

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Ah, ok great, thanks satelliteman. Just need to sort the wobble a bit now, it seems a bit loose.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Some dishes have been out in the market before now with a design flaw. Lenson Heath for example with a 1m design that required cutting about an inch off the boom, and a 4m mesh dish from Eurosat that just didn't work out of the crate.

As usual, it is up to others to work around these things.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
OldBen said:
Thanks Chris (sorry email notification not turned on missed your reply).

I am using black ultra with long neck, but there was more than one thread that talked about a washer to space the arm down from the dish bracket from what I remember to make the arm LNB in better focus, I just can't find it now!!!

Paul

It was an old thread anyhow, and I vaguely remember it too. But then it was difficult to find an LNB with a long neck. now there is the Black ultra.

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
All hail the black ultra! ;)

Going to put the single LNB holder back, then use the multi bracket clamped to the central LNB, as I am trying to get the weak CSLink transpoders on 23.5 so want prime focus for that LNB.

At least it stopped raining, might have to have a go tonight if there is time.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Location will play a big part for 3A. No problem when I had my Gibertini 104cm with just a standard LNb; both polarisations were pretty stable. Smack bang in the Midlands.

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I am just south of Reading, the general consensus when I started a thread was I needed a 120cm, but I am hoping to get lucky with a black ultra and a TD110 on an average day (might struggle with rain margin). I have dish on a stand at ground level, so plenty of easy access for fine tweaking, but hence the question on optimum focus as I expect it to be borderline.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
I used 2x1mm window packers on mine when I was using a silvertech LNB, when I went to the black ultra I took them out, but put 1 back as I got a fractionally signal with it in place.

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Some analysis last night determined the cause of some "wobble" was the multilnb arm, its off now anyway, to have the single fitted then the multi lnb holder clamped to the central black ultra instead. Might put a bolt through the holder rather than relying on the clip in mounting, or pack it with some tape etc if it wobbles.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
OldBen said:
or pack it with some tape etc if it wobbles.
Don't forget - if it's not gaffer tape it's not a proper bodge job! :D

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
My last order to CPC had about 8 miles of gaffa on it for some reason, don't know where the stuff just goes!