blib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Foxsat-hdr
Sky mini dish
Quad Lnb
My Location
Dorset, Uk
Hi all, Is there a correct method for adjusting the terrestrial slope on a multiswitch and what does it do? Is it to balance the outputs?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Slope on the terrestrial signal is used to assure that the higher frequencies which attenuate more over long cable runs, arrive at the consumer outlet at roughly the same signal strength as lower ones. The idea is that you set higher frequencies at a higher launch strength and check with a meter on the furthest points to set the correct figure.

Having said that, with digital signals, it doesn't seem to be quite so critical nowadays, as long as the consumer is receiving somewhere between 45db and 60db on all multiplexes their reception should be solid, this is of course assuming that the signal is of acceptable quality in the first place. In fact with current transmissions, signal strengths below 40db can still offer troublefree reception, but best to keep above 42db as a minimum and in the 50s for good measure.

blib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Foxsat-hdr
Sky mini dish
Quad Lnb
My Location
Dorset, Uk
Slope on the terrestrial signal is used to assure that the higher frequencies which attenuate more over long cable runs, arrive at the consumer outlet at roughly the same signal strength as lower ones. The idea is that you set higher frequencies at a higher launch strength and check with a meter on the furthest points to set the correct figure.

Having said that, with digital signals, it doesn't seem to be quite so critical nowadays, as long as the consumer is receiving somewhere between 45db and 60db on all multiplexes their reception should be solid, this is of course assuming that the signal is of acceptable quality in the first place. In fact with current transmissions, signal strengths below 40db can still offer troublefree reception, but best to keep above 42db as a minimum and in the 50s for good measure.
Thanks for the reply.Does it matter what outputs are connected to what cable runs? Should the shortest cable be connected to output number 1 for example? I am going to use a Triax multiswitch

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As far as I know the Triax ports are not padded, so all output the same strength of signal.

blib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Foxsat-hdr
Sky mini dish
Quad Lnb
My Location
Dorset, Uk

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
To clarify my last post, on the smaller triax multiswitches all outputs are similar, but on the 24 and 36 output switches, you have adjustable outputs to compensate for large differences in run lengths.