PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
daisyanne said:
...1) Developer now has a letter from a SKY installer saying SKY definitely going...

Be very suspicious of anyone saying they have a letter from Sky saying they are changing satellite beams, especially if they claim sky are writing to their 'foreign' subscribers.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Likvid said:
Have you talked to Jonsa about this design fault so they correct it?

I have finally been informed by Jonsa manufacturing dept that they have accepted the points i put forward re:faults of the 4.2m dish and that they have started the process of modifying the manufacturing machinery to eliminate the faults...The new batch of "corrected" dishes will be shipped begining of July 2007...

daisyanne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cytanet 1 meg b'band. sky + yet to be plugged in
My Location
Cyprus, Paralimni (east side)
PoloMint, The letter is not from SKY, but from the Installer here in Cyprus to my Developer. The installer also told them that Malta no longer can receive SKY.

Daisyanne

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Ahh OK, I read that too quickly. Still, unless the installer has a good source, which is doubtful, then the letter isn't really worth much. Like you said we would have heard from people in Malta and other fringe areas if a change had occurred.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
UK 80cm fixed on Hotbird / ART sports package.
4.2 Mtr Prime focus Dish at Astra 2D + Hotbird & Arabsat Fixed.
My Location
South Essex UK. Kapparis Famagusta Cyprus
Hi Iceman.
Having now agreed to remedy the issues with the 4.2 prime focus dish, How much difference would this make to the average signal? are we talking significant or minor.
If significant is there a fix in place for those who purchased the earlier model ?

I also need to ask you about the option of having one large dish which can serve up to 24 apartments. I see you can buy a Quad LNB which then gets distibuted out via splitters.
Do you install this system ? Our committee has requested a price for a dish large enough to give 24/7 BBC/ITV that can be available to all the residents if desired. The apartment is again in Kapparis and has plenty of roof space available. The commitee would prefer one dish rather than individual ones.
Do you do this type of installation ?

Daisyann
Can you tell me what part of Paralimni you are moving to?
A member of my family have just bought in Paralimni just past Ophaneides Supermarket.
There is talk of an option to purchase a large Sky dish.
I was wondering if this maybe where you were? as it maybe the same development ?
Kind Regards
Essex Boy (Henry)

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Essex Boy in Cyprus said:
Hi Iceman.
Having now agreed to remedy the issues with the 4.2 prime focus dish, How much difference would this make to the average signal? are we talking significant or minor.
If significant is there a fix in place for those who purchased the earlier model ?

The issues being corrected on 4.2m dish will make a significant improvement with the signal of the dish..
I have been "fixing" the problem with these dishes from day one when i first imported them back in 2002,now the factory have investigated and acknowledged the problems so hopefully the improved dish will not need a "fix" by the installer..

Essex Boy in Cyprus said:
I also need to ask you about the option of having one large dish which can serve up to 24 apartments. I see you can buy a Quad LNB which then gets distibuted out via splitters.
Do you install this system ? Our committee has requested a price for a dish large enough to give 24/7 BBC/ITV that can be available to all the residents if desired. The apartment is again in Kapparis and has plenty of roof space available. The commitee would prefer one dish rather than individual ones.
Do you do this type of installation ?

Are the 24 apartments on the same block?If they are,it is possible with the correct hardware...
As i have previously said..please contact me when you arrive so that we can meet on site do discuss your options..

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi Iceman.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes all the 24 apartments are in one long block.
Although I do not envisage everyone taking out the option.
(See attachment)

I am waiting for the building work to complete on my original property.
Once I know when the work is programmed to complete I will return to pay my debts to them.
I will then make contact with you for a visit.
Looking forward to meeting you very soon.
And thanks for all the information thus far.
Kind Regards
Essex Boy (Henry)

daisyanne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi Henry,

My apartment block is about a 5 min drive away from Orphanides. It is a Lane Homes deveopment and is past Kokinos supermarket going towards Derynia. Turn right at the big white shoe emporium building and it is at the end there. So not the same development.

Daisyanne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi Daisyann.
I know this very well.
Looks a nice development.
The shoe place is well cheap also.
I am happy to continue this conversation offline rather than use the thread.
If you want to chat I will mail you my mail address privately.
Hope all goes well with the apartment and make sure you get what you want and not what the developer wants.
Good Luck.
Kind Regards
Essex Box

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
daisyanne said:
I take it that the Malta statement is untrue then?

Daisyanne

Quite untrue. If Malta had lost Sky then so would all to the east of that island, including Cyprus.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2600 &
Humax 5400Z (sat)
Dell pentium 3 (comp)
My Location
Malta
Well I am from Malta: Pace 2600 1.8m fiberglass 0.5dB lnb.

Yesterday was 1st May (the date when reception was supposed to have been restricted). Everything the same as before: good reception of Astra 2A, B (North & South Beams) and Eurobird 1 and nothing at all on 2D.

From the beginning I treated the rumour with a pinch of salt.

daisyanne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks for that. I have told the developers that i think their SKY installer must be on drugs - he is coming out with such a lot of rubbish.

I dont think he has probably ever installed a big 4.2 dish!!!

Anyone here know of a SKY installer in Paralimni area that can do the job of installing a big dish to serve 24 apartments. I believe wiring is already in. Maybe I could pass their name on to Lane Homes.

Daisyanne

geoffrey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4M ChannelMaster Offset with Smart Titanium TQS LNB. LG SMART TV with SuperTrack V-Box 2 on ChannelMaster 1.2M Offset. TBS5925 tuner with EBSPro on Windows 10 laptop. Satlook Digital NIT.
My Location
Israel
It may be relevant to this thread that Astra 1L is to be launched on May 3rd to 19.2E. Astra 2C which is now at 19.2E is then to be moved to 28.2E to increase capacity. Maybe this will replace 2A?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
geoffrey said:
It may be relevant to this thread that Astra 1L is to be launched on May 3rd to 19.2E. Astra 2C which is now at 19.2E is then to be moved to 28.2E to increase capacity. Maybe this will replace 2A?

Nope - 2C will expand services further for the UK as space is getting very tight at 28.2E.

2A isnt due out of service until 2013 at the earliest (assuming no failures of course)

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
daisyanne said:
Thanks for that. I have told the developers that i think their SKY installer must be on drugs - he is coming out with such a lot of rubbish.

I dont think he has probably ever installed a big 4.2 dish!!!

Anyone here know of a SKY installer in Paralimni area that can do the job of installing a big dish to serve 24 apartments. I believe wiring is already in. Maybe I could pass their name on to Lane Homes.

Daisyanne

Hi Daisyanne,
I can recommend Andreas Sardalos (Sardalos Electric), 99-669013.
If you call him please tell him I recommended you to him,
Geoff
Agios Georgios Acheritou, Vrysoulles

daisyanne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Another update: Dish IS going up after all. But Developer has letter (he is sending it to me) saying that March 2008 is the date for a switch-over (digital??) and then cyprus will start to lose some SKY channels til eventually it goes completely. Letter also said Cyprus had already lost some channels and was having difficulty with Ch4.

They also said over the past year Malta had lost some SKY channels already like BBC, ITV, Ch4 unless they got a bigger dish cos the footprint was reduced.

Does this make any sense?

Daisyanne

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
It's all untrue, apart from the bit about Channel Four, which has become more difficult for some to receive, for reasons unknown.
There is no switch-over planned for 2008.
There has been no reduction in footprints for BBC or ITV

daisyanne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Drove down to developers and got a copy of the SKY installers letter:-

"TWTB Audio & Visual Ltd Shop 33, Oroklini 7041,
In the last 12 months, Sky have made some changes in their footprint, this has meant that there has been several reductions in bandwidth and signal strengths.
This has had an impact on channels available in Cyprus. 'SKY have lost many channels as well as 75% of radio channels. In my opinion, if this trend follows for the next 12 months then we could be left with little or no sky channels.

At this moment in time, we can not even guarantee that a 4.2mtr dish will receive channel 4. This is because of bandwidth reductions by Sky and the broadcasting of free Arab channels on a neighbouring satellite on the same frequency that has caused black spots across the Island.
Within the last week, Malta, although closer to the UK have lost Film and UK terrestrial channels due to changes in the footprint. This can be rectified by customers upgrading their dish from 2.4mtr to a minimum of 3.2mtr at great cost to themselves again with no guarantees that the new dishes will continue to work. The dish size needed for Cyprus is already 4.2mtr. The previous size of dish needed was a 1.8mtr until Sky reduced the footprint.
It is also possible that Sky may have to remove terrestrial channels from their platform when the UK migrates from analogue to digital terrestrial channels in March 2008. Steve Castle."

Does this make sense to anyone - comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Daisyanne

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
daisyanne said:
At this moment in time, we can not even guarantee that a 4.2mtr dish will receive channel 4. This is because of bandwidth reductions by Sky and the broadcasting of free Arab channels on a neighbouring satellite on the same frequency that has caused black spots across the Island.

If they are saying they cannot guarantee Channel4 on a 4.2m dish,tell them to close down the business & look for another job...:-rofl2

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The comments about the Arab satellite causing interference are certainly plausible where an installation is sub optimal - the new Badr 4 is operating at high power from 26E, (and its footprint is centred on the Mediterranean)

Its not unknow for channels on different satellites on frequences close together to cause interference.

Lets see - Channel 4 is transmitted on 12168V on 28E.
Badr 4 - ahah - Ghiras TV on 12169V Thats likely to be your problem :D