the end

pov oatcakes

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
working in staffs moorlands
what will happen to 19.e when it closes down will there be a few tests running and things like that.

ddonley

Reaction score
Website
raver31.tripod.com
it does not look like 19'e will be closing anytime soon, there are loads of german stations there who need the sat to get to their audience. However, I do not have a clue about the English language channels. Maybe Eurosport will hang around longer.
Just the other day, I set up an old pace receiver and a d2mac decoder and pointed it at 1'w, there is Kanal 5, DR2(not the best), TV3 Norway, TV3 denmark and TV4 Sweden still broadcasting (excellent). Have a look

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Question is asked presumably because of a mistaken impression that 19.2e only carries analogue transmissions. Even if that were true, there's no reason to suppose that analogue tranmissions are about to end since they are very popular still in many markets. And in any case it's far from true. There are hundreds of digital channels transmitted from that sat.

2old

ddonley

Reaction score
Website
raver31.tripod.com
one thing I noticed,1'w still has tv4 in pal and 5'e has astra test card both at 11.389h
could they be leaving analogue channels all at this location to aid installation of systems ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Unlikely ddonley, may be just planned redundancy for backup purposes. With the cost of transponder space being so high, there could be several digital channels instead of one analogue.

Sky had an analogue test card for a couple of months when they launched Sky digital, but it only remained there during the launch months until all of the installers were provided with dedicated digital meters.

ddonley

Reaction score
Website
raver31.tripod.com
nope, I have a site detailing exactly what you said, sky share transponders on digital.

the thing about it is this, digital channels using mpeg compression are exactly that, compressed. Try watching a football match on digital and when the pace gets fast, the screen goes blocky :(

dont believe everything sky and the government tell you about "digital quality"

have a look at the quality of a d2mac broadcast and compare that to the crap sky are pushing onto everyone

what I was saying about tv4, in perticular, it used to be a d2mac channel on 1'w, until tvnorge converted to digital, this left no analogue channels on 1'w. tv4 went from d2mac to analogue on a frequency that has an analogue channel on almost all satellites.

don't get me wrong, I am not against digital channels. they should just have their own transponder rather than share with up to 14 others

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, can't understand the point you are making ddonley, all I said in answer to you post was that I thought it unlikely that they would leave an analogue channel available solely for installation purposes, as there is more money to be made by sending out several digital channels using the same bandwidth.

My mention of Sky's analogue test card channel was purely to point out that they didn't want to do it for too long due to the cost. Totally agree tha they cram too many channels into too little bandwidth, but that would appear to be the nature of the game these days.

BG101

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
East Midlands
Anyone know if dedicated s** reveivers are capable of SCPC reception? If so surely the best option for dedicated (high-profile) matches would be to use this, even if only for the duration of the game - or just reduce the number of channels on the transponder. The same could be said for films though - high-speed action is always a problem where film channels share a transponder - but the broadcasters have an arrangement for this whereby films to be shown are analyzed, stored on a hard-drive and timed to avoid running out of available bandwidth at key scenes.

Regards

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Unless there is a specific filter in the tuner of the Sky boxes, then there is no reason why they should not be able to receive these transmissions

Owing to the firmware that is (presently) used however, there are only two settings that can be allocated when tuning- 22000 and 27500.

I am sure that if pressure were applied to the manufacturers by the European authorities, to free up the equality rules that govern pidgeonholing of the subscribers using the digiboxes to one service alone, then the tuner search parameters, the PCMCIA slot and the EPG system would make the digibox pan European friendly, but alas I think the lion has blunt teeth.

BG101

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
East Midlands
Thanks CH, I wasn't aware of the 22000/27500 restriction since I don't own one of these boxes myself, but it would go some way to explaining why a relative's digibox could not receive the FTAs on Eurobird (28.5°E) and Astra 1 (19.2°E) - I had just assumed that the minidish LNB itself was a different type, the old one on the (Astra1) dish being incompatible with the digibox - but I should think that is also the case since I seem to remember the old receiver he had was fitted with a 22KHz tone generator amongst other things. I might be tempted to try my old Cambridge universal to see if that gets anything!

Regards