The Final Straw

icarusi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion+
My Location
UK
Which is that the UK7dayEPG (nor the non-uk epg) doesn't pass data to the program timer. It acts like it will, but when you check the timer page itself no data has been tranferred. As is, the Passion Plus will not work as a conventional PVR by clicking on an EPG item to set a recording event.

The same is true of the original Passion (for VCR recording), proving the current UKEPG software is consistently at fault on both machines. Together with the other bugs and general recording unreliability , the P+ is made 'unfit for purpose' and I will duly be returning the P+ to the vendor on that basis.

icarusi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion+
My Location
UK
icarusi said:
Which is that the UK7dayEPG (nor the non-uk epg) doesn't pass data to the program timer. It acts like it will, but when you check the timer page itself no data has been tranferred. As is, the Passion Plus will not work as a conventional PVR by clicking on an EPG item to set a recording event.

Wouldn't you believe it! The P+ will actually record via the UK EPG but only from the '7day' schedule not the 'grid' view. It's still a bug and switching from '7day' to 'grid' doesn't find the same programme, you have to search it from the new list shown. The 'red button' screens are the same, so it should have worked from either.

As recording via the EPG now isn't a definite 'no', I intend to compile a list of bugs to date and forward them to Fortec, Maplins and my local Trading Standards office for their comment.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
All I can say is I sympathise with you, it sounds like you are doing their beta testing for them. Forwarding your list of complaints may benefit you eventually when and if they get round to doing an upgrade, it does seem odd that there have not been that many bad reports recently, perhaps you were just unlucky and have a Friday afternoon stb

Andrew0568

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion Plus & 500gig FreeAgent hard drive on USB
My Location
Devon UK
Icarus , have you downloaded the latest firmware ie P2_av_107_20081031? The reason I ask is because this totally messed up the recording facilities on my STB which had taken me about two months to get working properly. I reinstalled P2_av_105_20080915 and its all working fine ie timer record from standby , epg record from standby , and timeslip which I only found by accident(press pause when watching live TV). I couldn't get anything to work with a seagate drive but am now using a USB powered WD 250 passport which works fine. I hope this helps
Andrew

icarusi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion+
My Location
UK
Andrew0568 said:
Icarus , have you downloaded the latest firmware ie P2_av_107_20081031? The reason I ask is because this totally messed up the recording facilities on my STB which had taken me about two months to get working properly. I reinstalled P2_av_105_20080915 and its all working fine ie timer record from standby , epg record from standby , and timeslip which I only found by accident(press pause when watching live TV). I couldn't get anything to work with a seagate drive but am now using a USB powered WD 250 passport which works fine. I hope this helps
Andrew

I do have the latest firmware, v1.0.7 but my P+ came with V1.0.3 so I'm guessing v1.0.5 was before I got the P+. Presumably v1.0.7 was fixing something in v1.0.5 (or 6) though, that's why a bugfix schedule by Fortec would be useful. The only other version Fortec show seems to be v1.0.2 . Does v1.0.5 do the UK EPG? Was there a v1.0.6? Timeslip is OK in v.1.0.7.

Andrew0568

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion Plus & 500gig FreeAgent hard drive on USB
My Location
Devon UK
Icarus I should have said that I got the 105 from jonathan at Fortec Star when I kept pestering him because my Seagate PVR wouldn't work , it still doesn't work but the WD passport works just fine . I guess the 105 was work in progress because it never appeared on their website , but for me it seems just fine with few if any bugs , as I said before when I installed 107 recording became virtually impossible. If you give me your email address I will send you a copy to try.

Regards A

icarusi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion+
My Location
UK
Andrew0568 said:
Icarus I should have said that I got the 105 from jonathan at Fortec Star when I kept pestering him because my Seagate PVR wouldn't work , it still doesn't work but the WD passport works just fine . I guess the 105 was work in progress because it never appeared on their website , but for me it seems just fine with few if any bugs , as I said before when I installed 107 recording became virtually impossible. If you give me your email address I will send you a copy to try.

Thanks for the offer, but it seems like you still need the Seagate to work so we both need 108 or 109 to fix that, and correct what was bjorked in 107. I think I'll go for Maplins and Trading Standards first to put pressure on Fortec. I don't see why we should be beta testing consumer durables *at all*. This isn't the only bit of kit I've bought recently which required firmware upgrades to operate correctly and some were also retrogrades. I suppose if upgrades *do* eventually sort things out it's less hassle than returning the item.