The real idiots info

Gentleman_1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream Box 7025+, Skystar2
My Location
UAE, Dubai
I was looking at the "Idiots Guide" hoping to find info on opening scrambled channels by dreambox but the info there is not as simple as it claims to be. The info there requires prior knowledge on what needs to be done and doesn't explain things from square 1. As far as I understood I need to install a cccam - but no specific topic about that- and then load keys and subscribe to a server or some sharing server and it seems that such details are not even allowed on this forum. How much is that true and is the info here really sufficient for a novice to do all that and if so what would be the order of steps needed and where are the details?. I believe that the guide requires much more organization than its current state to claim that it is really for idiots. The ideal way to display the info would be like this:
Subject: Openning scrambled channels
-Establishing connection to dreambox
-Hardware needed.
-necessary software
-Loading the software
-Other needed steps e.g connecting to internet etc

This can make a comprehensive guide to what I want to do but now the info in that guide is fragmented and requires me to know how to arrange it in a logical sequence which I cant. Sorry.

acezon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 600s, Darkbox 2008,
Liberty FTA reciever, Humax Foxsat HD, Thomson Sky+,
3 fixed dishes, 60cm for 13E + 19E, 80 cm motorised,Zone 1 sky+, BtVision and My 37" baby.
My Location
Exmouth, Devon
you need to be a cleaver idiot to get the info you want, but if you read it all you will find 99% of the info you require.

Gentleman_1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UAE, Dubai
This has nothing to do with how smart you are, rather with how much initial info you got. If I don't see the whole plan put in one place from A to Z I cant venture into modifying my device on my own and risk damaging it just to play smart. Why don't you just admit it. The guide is not well organized.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Very simple

1) connect DB to router and sort out networking so it can see the internet

2) have a look through the downloads panel (most images have it) and install the wanted cam (eg on the blue button on Gemini images)

3) allow box to install the cam you choose

4) subscribe to a c/s service or set your own up with some friends

5) modify cam config files in the manner stipulated by the c/s provider.

6) watch tv, leaving DB connected to router at all times.

Whilst the guide isnt perfect theres a lot of useful info in there. If you think it needs changing the IG team would probably be grateful for some help!

Take a backup of your existing settings using DreamBoxEdit before you start

Gentleman_1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UAE, Dubai
Thanks but I still need details of each step. If you can provide a link to explain each step that will be great.

I am sure the guide has a lot of info but it needs to be organized in a way to put everything together in steps like those you provided and links to explain them.

Thanks again

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You CANT make it much simpler than that!

Once you have the networking sorted out most of the other steps fall into place.

You have to be willing to spend hours and hours learning how a DB works. All DB owners have been through the first painful steps of getting their new receiver working. If you arent willing to go through the same steps then a DB isnt the right receiver for you.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Gentleman_1 said:
Thanks but I still need details of each step. If you can provide a link to explain each step that will be great.

I am sure the guide has a lot of info but it needs to be organized in a way to put everything together in steps like those you provided and links to explain them.

Thanks again
All of what Analoguesat mentioned above is covered elswhere on the forum, if not in the idiots guide.

If you are struggling with the information that's already available, then what you need is a book. And this is a book that's yet to be written.

There is a lot of techie stuff involved, Networking, Telneting, Basic linux commands, FTP, Cams,................

Coming from a computing background myself, I still found I had a lot of reading to do to get up to speed with cams, cam configuration amongst other things, so If you dont have some basic knowledge of at least some of the aspects involved, its bound to be daunting.

Stick at it by just taking it one step at a time and focus on getting that one thing working before progressing to the next.

Step1, get the dreambox connected to your network + the internet.

C :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It took me a year before I was fully confident I knew more or less what I was doing with my 7020 - it almost went flying out of the window on several occasions.

Gentleman_1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UAE, Dubai
Now this makes sense. I was fooled by the term "idiots guide" and thought it was a piece of cake. I used to program a "fun card" myself before but obviously this is much more challenging. I am willing to spend the time since this is my hobby. I will try to find my way through the scattered info here. Thanks.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Go for it. :)

You will get stuck and there will be setbacks but folks here will help and point you in the right direction when you get bogged down.

Go down the list I gave you methodically, get the networking setup and things WILL become more obvious as you gain experience with the receiver :)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
It may look daunting at first, but once you have started it will all fall into place. After all, there are literally hundreds of users who came to the forum with a Dreambox and a lot of questions, and went on to become quite able dreamboxers. As my esteemed friends mentioned, all the stuff is covered in the forum, use the search function to find the bits and pieces :)

father ted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
just new , i have a 1meter dish, connected to open media twin unit (cable/sat)and this moment am a ladder fiend ,my wife sends meals up to me via pigeon but im loving the learning curve
My Location
scotland
tbh it took me a year to fully understand it all ,as for idiots guide ,i dont think its been invented yet.i followed bits of advice from here and a few other places, am not very bright but eventually ive built up my own server and everything i gained came from these ppl on here i can offer a few bits of advice but mines all on ubuntu