Thinking about motorising my satellite dish

Tony1A

Never going back to Sky TV. Ever!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
OK! Well, the title says it all. I have been looking at the possibility of getting my Triax 80cm dish motorised and have seen many Diseqc units on a certain auction website. My questions is this. How easy would it be to set this thing up myself and what is the best one to use? Never tackled sort of thing before so I need to know what I'm letting myself in for. :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The mainstream weapon of choice would be the TM2600 Motor.

With attention to detail, the installation is very simple indeed.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
Yes, I've seen them. They seem to be very well made and reliable. Now what satellite would I have to set this up on for everything to fall into place? Bearing in mind the pole would have be bang-on straight.

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
try bbc world news on 11.862.h.28000 on thor5/6@0.8west

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Many thanks for all the replies! If I went ahead and did this, the only thing I would have to do is extend the coax cable which runs into my bungalow. It means having a coupler in line but that should not matter too much (Webro WF100) is my cable of choice. I will have to see how possible it is. The pole would have to be mounted on my shed as I have no south-facing wall and the side of the shed re-inforced. I need to think and to plan! :)

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Hmmm. Not sure if this is the way to go for me. I just have some concerns about the actual setup of the motor. I may be worrying for no reason so maybe the fixed dish with 2 lnbs for 28.2/19.2 and a separate 60cm dish for 13e (with diseqc switch)might be better for me. Unless someone can tell me just how easy or hard it is to put one of these Technomate motors to use! :)

Anybody????

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Very easy indeed (as mentioned earlier).

There are instructions with the Motor (Follow the "Simple Method"), there are Guides here on the Forum and then in case of hitches there are other Members to advise.

Like most things, there are occasionally folk who just don't "get it", but the majority do - we all did!

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
You have just made me change my mind again! LOL! This is frustrating. On the plus side, my little Medion box can handle USALS /Diseqc and it would be nice to have lots of TV channels. Often fancied a motorised system. :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you want "lots" of tv channels start with Hotbird@ 13E. There are hundreds of free channels on there from all round the world.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Back to ye olde drawing board! LOL

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Nah - just get a dish thrown up for 13E, and take it from there. The signals are strong and easy to find, and will give you something to look at whilst you plan the system improvements.

Half the fun of the hobby is tinkering and seeing what you can find with your system.

13E is just a good one to start with, and any scaffy old dish will do for it. I use an 80 cm dish that had been dumped in the woods behind our cottage. A good clean, a new lnb and it works fine for 13E.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Great replies, Lads! But I do need to make a decision soon about what I'm going to do. I'd like to get all work done before we freeze again. No fun putting a dish up in snow & ice that is for sure! Brrrrr.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
You should attempt the full moty, if you go for one extra satellite you will always be wondering what is on the others that are up there.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Oh yeah you want to go multi sat - 13E was a suggestion of a quick starting point

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Just to add my two centimes worth - a T-90, while not as flexible as a motorized dish, should enable you to see a dozen or so satellites without too much trouble and avoids having to wait for the motor to turn. Once you have two satellites (adequately spaced) setup correctly adding further sats is child's play. It requires a lot of LNBs though :)

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Right! Lots to go on with there! Got to try to get my head around all this before making a firm plan. :) Had a look at the T-90 and I have to say it's great idea, but it needs loads of LNB's and works out more expensive than a Technomate TM2600 motor.

Last edited:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, works out more expensive, but means that if you have a twin tuner receiver, you can watch one satellite and record from any one of the others simultaneously, something you can't do with a motorised dish alone.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
At present I have a Solo2 with one tuner connected to the T-90 via various Diseqc switches, and the other connected to a separate dish on a motor. Cleary not the cheapest option, but is quite flexible. I sort of wish I'd waited for the Duo2 now as a few more tuners would be handy... Maybe I can add an external USB tuner.

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
as long as your current L bracket is 100% plumb you shouldnt have any problems installing your motor if its on a south facing wall... if not then you could get a small set of T+K brackets and length of pole and re-position it. its not that difficult if you follow the guides and take your time but it go,s without saying take care when working at height on ladders

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
My little Medion box is only SINGLE tuner, but if I had to record anything, I have a HDD/DVD recorder underneath it. It may be possible to fix a pole to the side of my shed with a bit of strengthening and TK's. It should accommodate an 80cm triax dish with no probs.