Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yep. That's a good idea.

Tony1A

Never going back to Sky TV. Ever!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
Dammit! Why didn't I think of that? You are right, Alex! :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Dammit! Why didn't I think of that? You are right, Alex! :)

Do make doubly sure that you set it to 54 and a bit against the correct datum mark: Sometimes the arrow (or whatever) that stands slightly proud can be hard to identify.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Looks like you have a nice clear view of the arc from your location at F****hill.

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
I should get at least 75/80% of the arc so I'll be happy with that. My neighbour's roof will cause a slight problem as I will not get all of the western satellites but still a good number of them and eastwards I will get loads. So looking forward to this now! :)

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
I should have mentioned this. I have a Satlink WS 6906 meter and I'm sure that will be a useful tool for getting the job done. Now I am getting excited about this. To think that very soon loads of TV channels will be coming my way. I would have loved a system like this 20 years ago. :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
That Meter should be a great help - I've only ever used either a cheap needle meter or (More in the mould of the true hobbyist) used an Audio Tone from an SL65 fed through a 75W Amp so I could hear it outside!

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Well, feeding the audio through an amp is probably overkill, but whatever helps you get the job done. I have a couple of those SL-65's and you're right about the tone - very useful tool - and good little FTA box, too!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Anyway, why are you spending time posting here when you could be working on the dish?!

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
I should have mentioned this. I have a Satlink WS 6906 meter and I'm sure that will be a useful tool for getting the job done. Now I am getting excited about this. To think that very soon loads of TV channels will be coming my way. I would have loved a system like this 20 years ago. :)
20 years ago there were fewer channels :)

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Very true! Digital has certainly expanded the amount of channels. Tivu! The reason why I'm not working on the dish is I am waiting for the T/K's and long bolts to arrive...then the fun begins!

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
I have just been putting the motor bracket together and I can see what you mean Tivu. Those marks and arrows are a bit tricky to read, but my reading glasses took care of that. It's annoying that I have not got the other bits and pieces here to start the job. They say that patience is a virtue, but I just want to get the job done. :D

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I have just been putting the motor bracket together and I can see what you mean Tivu. Those marks and arrows are a bit tricky to read, but my reading glasses took care of that. It's annoying that I have not got the other bits and pieces here to start the job. They say that patience is a virtue, but I just want to get the job done. :D

I do hope to see some pictures of this setup if you would please :-), the job is never done in this hobby :-) lol

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
My hobby cant expand any more as i cant have a bigger dish on that garage and it would be pointless placing one in the back garden as it slopes down from the house blocking off all East sats and most of the West. I'm very happy with my td88, it does a sterling job although the elevation setting is summat else......(ad nauseam)

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Very useful meter, i use one too.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
When the job is done I will take a few pics and put them on here. I'm just eager to get going on this job. :) I reckon my TD78 should do quite well but I can't go bigger than that. It's going to give the neighbours something to talk about I'm sure. Hee Hee! Have not seen anyone else with moving dish in my town.

Last edited:

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Still waiting for the brackets, they will probably turn up on Monday. In the meantime, a question about height clearance. The scaffolding pole I have is not too long, the shed roof slopes down and there is about 20-21 inches up from the side of the shed roof to the top of the pole (pole will be 8-10 inches from shed side). The dish is Triax TD78. This is going to sound crazy but how much clearance does the dish need to turn to the East? Just concerned that the pole height may not be enough and I might have to add an extra piece of pole clamped on or alternatively, raise the pole from the ground a few inches using bricks etc. Guidence needed on this one lads, please! :)

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well as you've got the pole, the motor and the dish, just lash it up as a dry run and hold the pole yourself, swinging the dish from limit to limit and seeing at what height it needs to be to stay clear.

Far easier than us getting into geometry and trigonometry sight unseen!